Search

ATMs in Peru

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2001, 07:04 PM
Rudy

ATMs in Peru

I will be going to Peru on an OAT. Their handbook suggests we bring either US cash or travelers' checks, and that we should not rely on ATMs. In recent years I have really appreciated using ATMs as a source of cash. For those of you who have been to Peru, how available are ATMs in the Mira Flores area of Lima and in Cusco? Are they located only by banks? Thanks in advance.

Old May 24th, 2001, 12:31 PM
sandy

We used ATMs in Lima proper and in the Miraflores area (one afternoon when we were having a last-minute souvenir buying experience) and they were everyplace. <BR> <BR>There were many in Cuzco, too. One would not take my card but another one right across the street would. Take your ATM and don't worry. Worst case, you'll have to go to a bank (they will give you money on your card, same as a machine). <BR> <BR>We loved Peru, hope you do, too! <BR>Sandy

Old May 29th, 2005, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Sandy.....had no problem finding ATMs in Lima or Cusco. If taking an OAT trip, they will be fairly close to your hotels.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 04:57 AM

Yep...reliable ATMs everywhere in Lima.

I was a little surprised though to see that almost every one of 'em gave me the option of taking cash in either soles or in US dollars.

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 04:30 PM
plr

I have just returned from a wonderful 2-week trip to Cusco-Sacred Valley-Machu Picchu. Outside of Lima and Cusco, it's important to point out that contrary to a message I read on this or another travel message board, there are NO ATM's in either Ollantaytambo or Aguas Callientes. Believe me, I searched hard. There is one lonely ATM in Urubamba which I did not use before going to M.P. Luckily, there are several places in Aguas Calientes which cash travelers' checks at a 2% fee, and hotels charge a slightly higher fee for this--though not all hotels will even consider travelers' checks.