Search

ATM machines in Monteverde?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 09:56 AM
Tina

ATM machines in Monteverde?

Are they available and working? Anyone used them recently? We will be in Monteverde for 5 days.<BR>Also did you drink a bottled water there or not? <BR>Thank you

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 03:27 AM
Tina

Anybody visited Monteverde lately?<BR><BR>Please I need your help.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Sandy

I was there a couple of years ago and I don't remember seeing any. In fact, when we went (Sept 99), we didn't find any that were working anywhere. There were signs (in Spanish) saying something about they would not be working for a month. We could, however, go inside the banks and get money with our ATM cards.<BR><BR>Monteverde is very small. We did see lots of ATMs in San Jose, some in Quepos, and I don't remember seeing any in Arenal (didn't need any additional money when I was there).<BR><BR>We landed at the new terminal (via Delta) in San Jose and it's about a mile or more from the old terminal. And, there was no money changing available, no ATM, no tourist info, nothing. It might have changed but just a head's up. Our taxi driver was happy to accept US dollars.<BR><BR>We drank the tap water in Costa Rica . . . but we've been almost everywhere and eaten almost everything and have cast-iron stomachs.<BR><BR>Hope this helps . . . and have a great time, CR is wonderful!<BR>Sandy

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Dawn

I was in Monteverde a few days ago and there are ATMs. Not on every street corner, but they are available. I did not use them myself so I cannot attest to the fact that they work. I did drink bottled water only while I was there, but that does not mean that you cannot drink the tap water from the modern hotels. We saw people doing it all the time. We just have a policy of no tap water in Latin America.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 06:47 AM
leslie

My ATM card is with the Cirrus network and was not widely accepted in Costa Rica. The Plus network is much more widely used. Try www.visa.com and click on ATM Locator to see whether there is an ATM at Monteverde.<BR><BR>I drank only bottled water.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 07:08 AM
sandy

Leslie is right about the Visa/Plus thing. I have a Mastercard/Cirrus and had problems with ATMs. <BR><BR>As for the water, we drank tap water everywhere, and this is the only vacation my husband have had where his stomach didn't get upset at some point. We spent some time in Arenal and were warned by the hotel owner not to drink that tap water when we got to Manuel Antonio. We did drink bottled water there, but didn't use too much care in questioning the purity of restaurant ice or water. No problems with the tap water--this isn't Mexico.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Tina

Wow! What great informations you all provided. Thank you so much. It looks like I better take some Travelers checks just in case. I also think that I will drink only bottled water.<BR><BR>What did you enjoy most about Monteverde?

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 06:36 AM
leslie

As far as travellers checks are concerned, my American Express Travellers checks were not accepted at the Holiday Inn in downtown San Jose or as admissiion into Manuel Antonio Park (I was able to use them at the bank and certain vendors). I posted earlier about my Cirrus Master Card not being widely accepted. Thanks to this board, I took some cash, some American Express Travellers Checks, an ATM card and two credit cards(for a cash advance). It is really good advice.<BR><BR>I enjoyed the Hummingbird gallery the most. There were many different species and you can see a great number at one time.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 05:00 AM
hvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

ttt