ATM in San Jose Airport?

Jul 11th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

ATM in San Jose Airport?

Hello to all-
I did a search for the above, and did not find an answer. Since so many of you have recently returned from Costa Rica, please tell me if there is an ATM in the San Jose Airport and if so, where it is located.
Thanks, Catalina

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jul 12th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Jul 12th, 2004, 09:47 AM

I passed a couple actually, but don't remember the pinpoint location, think there's one by the fountain. The airport is not big so you won't have any problem. Just ask a gate agent. Even if you can't find one, US dollars will be accepted at the taxi ranks & they can drive by one for you. Really, you don't need to worry about it.
Jul 13th, 2004, 01:31 PM

There is an ATM near baggage/customs. I believe as you come through and enter the baggage area, it is to your left. We didn't check bags and almost missed it, but just look left. We used it last month, and it worked fine with our cards (plus network).
Jul 13th, 2004, 04:19 PM

hello, I read in the Fodor's and/or Lonely Planet guide that the atm's only accept cards with 4 digit passwords. My bank cards require 6 digit codes. This particular guide seemed to stress that outside of SJ there would not be many ATM's and that cash is the way to go. Visa cards with Plus or Star network are more likely to be accepted. But not to carry it all in one place, as there is some pickpocket problem in many places, but almost no violent crime. dollars are sometimes accepted but no other foreign currencies. In San Jose, the Banco Popular at Avda 2 and C.1. near the National Theatre accepts Plus cards.

CAsh was recommended over and over no matter what book I was reading. Travelers checks are ok in major tourist hotels and attractions, but not in rural areas. Some business accept them, but have run out of cash. Often hotels will change money for you at a rate siilar to a bank.
Jul 13th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, French Curve Ball. Do you have a four digit or six digit pin?
Jul 13th, 2004, 07:21 PM

Only the smallest of towns do not have ATM machines. I have never seen one that did not take Visa Plus and Star, so if your card has any of those logos on it, you'll be fine. Just make sure that your code does not start with the numeral '0'. Otherwise, no problema - anywhere you are likely to go in Costa Rica. You definitely do NOT need to wag around a lot of cash, and traveler's checks are a major hassle to cash.
Jul 14th, 2004, 08:18 AM

Barbarian,

Why should one be concerned if their ATM code begins with a "0"? I have encountered no problems with ATMs in Europe when entering a code that starts with the number zero. Please explain!

Thanks!
Jul 14th, 2004, 10:53 AM

Hello,
My ATM card has NYCE, The Exchange, and Cirrus. Does anyone know how common these are in CR? I assume that we shouldn't have any problems finding ATM's that accept NYCE or Cirrus??
Jul 14th, 2004, 03:21 PM

My ATM is the 4 digit and unfortunately not plus...but, when I was at the bank the other day and asking about CR, they asked me if I used 4 or 6 digit..I think they were ready to explain how to use the 6 digit if you had one...I thought they were starting to say how to drop numbers or something. I could be wrong because they stopped when I said I had 4. I just worry cirrus vs. plus!
Jul 14th, 2004, 03:33 PM

The Cirrus is not nearly as common as Plus, but there are some. There is a web site somewhere on line that you can pull up the addresses of them. I saw it last week and posted it somewhere in this forum.
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:09 PM

Here is the link to the Mastercard/Cirrus ATM locator:

http://www.mastercard.com/atmlocator/index.jsp

They do list one in the airport.
Jul 15th, 2004, 07:43 AM

FYI - just got back on the 8th & we took cash, credit cards & debit cards. No travelers checks. Be aware that while many places advertise they take credit cards, we ran into many occasions when either the machine was down (usually from a heavy rain) &/or they charged 5-10% more for using a credit card (which isn't much on a dinner bill). Everywhere except a small convenience store took American dollars & we only changed over $ once or twice as you get your change in colones when you pay in American dollars. We used credit or debit cards whenever possible. Oh, and same thing with the ATMs - sometimes they would be down b/c of the heavy rains and/or being out of cash. So, always have some money on you just in case you run into that problem.
Jul 15th, 2004, 08:32 AM

Does anyone know what the exchange rate is when you convert from colonnes to U.S. Dollars? I've used a currency converter on the web before but couldnt find Costa Rica on it.
LAFadeAway, thanks for the website. We usually bring a lot of traveler's checks but it seems that not everyone accepts them in CR.
Jul 15th, 2004, 09:43 AM

currency: http://www.xe.com/ucc/full.shtml