ATM fees

Aug 17th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

ATM fees

I read here someone paid $8.00 to get money from teh San Jose airport ATM, are the fees similar at other ATMs?
Aug 17th, 2005, 05:34 PM

I paid 3.50 at every ATM in Costa Rica, including the one in the San Jose airport. One thing strange about their ATM, they don't give you a bunch of choices for money to take out, they make you enter the amount and then tell you that it's too much. Fun guessing game. So check before you go at what amount of colones will be the max and save yourself some trouble.
Aug 19th, 2005, 10:01 AM

Another caveat is that many US banks charge a 3% fee when using an ATM or credit card in Costa Rica.
Aug 19th, 2005, 05:00 PM

It's probably been posted before, but beware of using your credit card to pay exit taxes. I paid the exit tax for all of us (one person can buy for everyone) while my husband was managing several pieces of luggage and baby equipment. I thought it would be simple to use a credit card (and didn't have much cash on me). However, we were charged $10 for a cash advance, even though it really wasn't a cash advance. It was considered as such by the airport. To make matters worse, I had to use it twice because I forgot to pay the baby's exit tax! I guess I forgot she was a real person since she didn't have her own airplane seat. Anyway--$20 bucks it cost me. Won't do that again!
Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:00 PM

I made withdrawals at the ATM in Manuel Antonio, where you have the choice of American dollars or colones, and was suprised that I wasn't charged any fee at all. It was near the end of our trip so I was able to get some of both.
Monica...that was kind of funny now that I think back..I kept entering progressively lower dollars amounts until the machine finally gave me some cash. Live and learn!