Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Argentina - solo traveller (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/argentina-solo-traveller-587377/)

pdx_princess Feb 1st, 2006 03:44 PM

Argentina - solo traveller

Hi I'm heading to Argentina from Late Feb through early March 2006. I've done a lot of traveling, sometimes alone, but never to S.America. I'm a photographer, concentrating on "street"/cultural/portrait images. I'd like to spend most of the time in BA and possibly Uruguay. I know that the Tango Festival will be going on. I speak limited Spanish. If anyone could help me with some of these questions, I would truly appreciate it.
1. I have a nice camera, do I need to be worried, walking alone - taking pictures?
2. I'm thinking of two trips from the city El Tigre (day) and Uruguay (3-4 days). Hotel recommendations?
3. In BA, I need a hotel that is safe and centrally located, I plan to walk most places, but I don't want an American focused hotel, international is great! $$ mid to budget
4. Any areas I should avoid? day or night?
5. Tango lessons..YES!!
6. Spanish lessons...sure!!
7. Places to meet other travelers?

Any other info to share? I've read lots of the posting, which were great! Thanks in advance

cmcfong Feb 2nd, 2006 03:58 AM

topping for AVRooster and other Buenos Aires experts.

IgorVodov Feb 2nd, 2006 04:05 AM

1. I would not say that you have to worry about your camera while walking around Recoleta or Palermo during the day. Some of the other neighborhoods, like La Boca require a greater sense of self-awareness, especially during the night.
3. Try LoiSuites recoleta. You should be able to get their cheapest rooms for about $US 125 per night. It is location is near the Cemetary in Recoleta only a few blocks away from Ave Alvear.
4. La Boca. Have a general feel of your surroundings and rely on your 6th sense to guide you away from unsafe areas.
5. Mansion Dandi Royal in San Telmo has tango lessons every night. Their teachers speak English. They also have a weekly milonga on Wednesdays.

Graziella5b Feb 2nd, 2006 04:19 AM

In as much as I love Buenos Aires I agree that the camera might be a problem. Have it insured. I know of rip off of Rolex watches these watches seem to be the favorites although I have not heard of cameras been stolen and personally have shoot all over with no incident I would be very alert.

saltshaker Feb 2nd, 2006 06:09 AM

You don't need to pay anywhere near $125 a night unless you really want to. Try something like the Art Suites Hotel - www.artsuites.com.ar - I think their rates run around $65 a night, and it's also right in the heart of Barrio Norte.

Agree that other than a few marginal areas like La Boca you don't really need to worry about your camera - I walk around with mine all the time. And even in La Boca if you're staying in the generally touristy part during the day you don't need to worry about it - pickpocketing would be the bigger concern there.

avrooster Feb 2nd, 2006 07:39 PM

Read my "The REAL Buenos Aires" thread to see whether you might be interested in the images you would see on such a tour.

justinnyc4now Feb 6th, 2006 07:40 AM

Um, maybe the other guy didn't mean Art Suites -- because that hotel is $150 a night, according to the web site. I only checked because I thought he had recommended the same one I was going to recommend -- the Art Hotel. It's also in recolleta (centrally located), but it actually is only $70 a night.

Don't go to a stupid tango show (lessons may be fine, but the shows are dumb, and the included meals are a rip off).

I really can't recommend the Art Hotel enough. http://www.arthotel.com.ar/

SusanC Feb 10th, 2006 07:01 PM

I have been to BA twice by myself. I don't find it unsafe but there are a lot of beggars so you should be careful. In general I find Argentina very safe.

I found a number of decent hotels in El Centro for about US$60. I stayed in the Principado for that price. It is on Paraguay and Reconquista (if I remember correctly) near Plaza St Martin and Calle Florida.

saltshaker Feb 11th, 2006 05:08 AM

Justin, you are so right - I have both websites tagged and posted the wrong one - yes, the Art Hotel. They're actually owned by the same people as I understand, but the Hotel is the inexpensive place to stay, the Suites are more like luxury/executive apartment living. They're about 2 blocks apart from each other on the same street.