Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Argentina or Spain in June with teen daughter (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/argentina-or-spain-in-june-with-teen-daughter-296980/)

lovetotravel2 Feb 2nd, 2008 05:34 PM

Argentina or Spain in June with teen daughter

Our daughter is graduating from high school this June and we want to take a trip. She has never been anywhere internationally. Hubby speaks fluent Spanish and has lived in Spain and we've travelled there several times. We've been just in Buenos Aires briefly. The high prices in Europe scare us. Argentina is intriguing with
estancias, the falls, etc. Daughter is really open to anywhere. Posting here rather than on the Europe forum as I suspect many of you here may have been to both Spain and Argentina. Thanks for your opinions!

ggmestre Feb 2nd, 2008 07:03 PM

We went to Argentina 2 years ago
(had previously visited in 1984)
and I'm dying to go back.
We flew to Santiago, Chile, because I have some relatives there and after 3 days in Santiago, we flew to Puerto Mont and did the crossing of the lakes from Chile to Argentina and spent 2 nights in Bariloche.
You can stay 3 nights and wont get bored because Bariloche is beautiful.We then flew to Buenos Aires and stayed there for 3 nights
at a boutique hotel from the Melia chain in La Recoleta. Then to a cruise from Buenos Aires to Chile
again. Prices were very reasonable and we had a great time. Mind the time of year you are going because it rains a lot and gets very cold in winter, which is our summer.
You can just plan to visit Buenos
Aires, Iguazu Falls and DONT MISS Bariloche!!! Try stay in La Recoleta neighborhood whe nin Buenos Aires.

Graziella5b Feb 2nd, 2008 09:12 PM

I go often to both to Spain and Argentina , I feel it is very difficult to compare them. Both are great destinations, Spain is full of historic places, no matter what part of Spain you choose to visit .
Argentina being very different has the beautiful Bariloche area as ggmestre says, this is a little like being in Switzerland, beautiful mountains and lakes, doing the
lake crossing is a wonderful little trip, and then of course Buenos aires is a big cosmopolitan city, you cannot compare with Spain, at least for me, because I take a lot of pleausure in art , architecture and history. Of course in one you spend everything in euros in the other one
more than three pesos to one dollar. Huge difference.
I guess it is a personal choice and I find very hard to advice which will be better. They are both good destinations but totally different.

Dude Feb 3rd, 2008 05:23 AM

I can only speak to Spain and prices. BTrying to be quite frugal my wife and I have paid about $150.00 u.s. per day for travel there the last two years. This was getting a room from Hostelworld (amazed how nice some of these 1 star hotels are compared to the U.S.) and using public transportation exclusively, except to and from the airport. To eat we usually looked for tapas bars that gave food with a drink. It would be very easy to spend $100's more per day. Personally I think Spain is wonderfulbut you need to watch your spending.

msteacher Feb 3rd, 2008 07:28 AM

Both are wonderful destinations that you would enjoy. However, Argentina offers more variety if you are planning to travel around the country a bit, and yes the price differential really is amazing. To be able to order anything you want on a menu, or take any tour you feel like while you are there, without having to worry about the cost really does affect the enjoyment of a vacation for me. There's a real sense of freedom when you're not constantly counting pennies.

travelme Feb 3rd, 2008 02:51 PM

Argentina is just fantastic. Go for it! The people are so nice too.

flintstones Feb 5th, 2008 09:05 AM

Argentina offers: DIVERSITY, from North to South and West to East, has mountains, waterfalls, salt flats, GOOD FOOD, all the tasty dishes are also varied, and for less it would cost in Europe.
CITY LIFE, Buenos Aires as a big one and, maybe SAlta as a nice colonial town... Music, Culture, Handicrafts, (leather), and maybe for the half you would spend in Europe.
Flintstones