Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Argentina or Chile (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/argentina-or-chile-253592/)

Julie Aug 27th, 2002 02:16 PM

Argentina or Chile

My husband and i want to take a week's vacation at the end of the year (want to go somewhere where we won't freeze). We have been to Costa Rica, Mexico, the Carribean, would like to perhaps investigate other Latin American countries. I speak Spanish adequately. <BR>Suggestions for a safe country for a couple in their late 20's who doesn't like to lie on the beach, likes to be somewhat active but not rough it too much, eat well, indulge in culture? We have narrowed it down to Argentina vs. Chile.<BR>Thanks in advance! Julie<BR>

Paul Del Rossi Aug 27th, 2002 08:40 PM

with no doubt I would choose Argentina.<BR>Buenos Aires is the most cosmopolitan city in South America. It has a special environment that you would love if you enjoy cities with soul. On the other hand, Santiago de Chile looks much more to any standard city in US and the smog there is really bad for your health.<BR>I would also visit the Glaciar Pelito Moreno in the Patagonia which is one of the most amazing places on earth

info Aug 28th, 2002 10:08 AM

Julie,<BR><BR>Another advantage of Argentina is the exchange rate. Due to the recent devaluation, everything is outrageously cheap here. For example: 1 Big Mac (not that you are interested in eating in Mc. Donalds!) = 60 cents.<BR><BR>IMHO Argentina is the best place to eat very well and indulge in culture, at the most convenient prices.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip and welcome to Argentina.

ellen Aug 28th, 2002 11:39 AM

Argentina hands down. Cheap cheap cheap!

maria Aug 29th, 2002 05:40 AM

Argentine culture is the best in SA: Art, music, languages, tango, museums, the best cuisine, all are everywhere. Also you have the best options for light (or rough) adventure.<BR><BR><BR>

mike Sep 3rd, 2002 02:55 PM

Why not do both? You could start in Buenos Aires (3 days)- Fly to Santiago, then drive down to the lakes district of Chile (4 days)- then fly back to BA (1 day). <BR><BR>If you could stretch your vacation to 10 days this itenary could be managed. <BR><BR>Good Luck, whatever you decide will be a great adventure!

Fred Sep 3rd, 2002 03:42 PM

You talk about the exchange rate being so great, but where can I excahnge dollars for pesos? American Experess does not do it anymore,and neither does the airport, because on the instability of the everchanging Argentine Peso. I do Not have a ATM card. Just never trusted the people that hang around them. ANyway, I can't find anyone here,Houston, that will sell me Argentine Pesos. But We are going, regardless, in January. Maybe our friends that live there can get them for us when we get there. ANy comments??&gt; ( Fred - B.A. Visit) header