Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Argentina highlights (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/argentina-highlights-392954/)

Peep Jan 29th, 2004 01:31 AM

Argentina highlights

I've just started thinking about maybe taking a 2 week trip to Argentina in December-January. What are the highlights that we should include in our first trip? We like interesting cities, small towns, hiking, nature, good wine :) and don't care at all about nightlife. Thanks for your thoughts!

Graziella5b Jan 29th, 2004 09:52 AM

I would not miss, Iguazu Falls, Bariloche and the Lake Crossing into Chile and back, and Mendoza for wineries, also a nice destination. Buena suerte.

Graziella5b Jan 29th, 2004 09:56 AM

Going in December January is a good idea to include some time in the beautiful resort of Punta del Este, great beaches. Is not the big condos by the beach type , Thanks God, but a lively beach life.
If you care for more tranquility the Four Seasons Resort in Carmelo, Uruguay is unique. Peaceful and lovely by the River Plate, there are packages from Buenos Aires and it is awfuly close.(Golf, spa, horse riding, tennis and much more)

carrom Jan 30th, 2004 08:14 AM

If you don't mind flying I would definitely do this: spend a couple of days in Buenos Aires, wonderful city!, fly to Iguazu (stay one night at the sheraton if you can - it's horrid but the only hotel with a really good view of the falls - ride a bike down the cachuco trail and swim in the watering hole under a small waterfall with no one else around - it's magic!)Fly down to Patagonia to see the Perito Moreno - an amazing talking and moving glacier. Stay in Calafate - a pretty town with some good restaurants. Fly further down to Ishuaia in the Terra del fuego and take a small boat (Tre Marias I think it was called not one of those big tourist things) into the bay to see the sea lions and the amazing birds that nest on the rocks - it's such spectacular scenery. The captain fished these huge crabs for us from a little island and cooked them on the boat as we sipped matè and looked at Chile. Then fly back to BA for some city life or and maybe stay in the Pampas on an estancia (farm) and ride some horses. We were there in winter 2001 and loved it! I can give you more details of all these places if you're interested.

ndelapaz Jan 31st, 2004 06:34 PM

Juat came back from buenos aires and punta del este. Loved it, I recommend a few days in punta after buenos aires to relax. the trip was very easy, brought the ticket in buquebus in buenos aires and they take care of all the arrangements. looking forward to next year as it will become my yearly vacation spot. enjoy.
by the way the us dollar is extremely strong in uruguay and argentina.

Peep Feb 2nd, 2004 03:23 AM

Thanks for the ideas! :)

Mama Feb 2nd, 2004 07:30 AM

Carrom, I would like to find out more about all places you visited. Your trip sounds wonderful especially a visit to Ishuaia in the Terra del fuego. I would appreciate all smallest details including website addresses. How expensive/inexpensive were interior flights? When did you book them? Before your trip or once you got there? Did you use any travel agent or did you book directly with hotels, boat operators, airlines? Do you recommend any specific guide books?
Thank you

Grazzilla, would you please give me more information on the lake crossing to Chile. Where, how, why? How expensive is it? Is water in Argentina and Chile safe to drink?

Mama Feb 2nd, 2004 07:32 AM

Graziella, sorry about misspelling your name. I still would like information. Thanks

carrom Feb 2nd, 2004 08:57 AM

Replying to Mama. Ushuaia is the most southern city in the world and the location is stunning. If you are lucky enough to land there on a clear day it is amazing! The town itself is not so exciting though - a small frontier town with wooden houses and some tourist shops. A 2/3 night stay is enough also because it's pretty cold even in Summer. Our boat ride in the Beagle channel was really good. We saw Albatross, Petrels, Cormorans and sea lions. Calafate is worth going to especially if you can spend some time in one of the estancias as well as seeing the glaciers. We stayed on the sheep farm Santa Teresita, in the middle of nowhere! Long and beautiful drive in a 4wd really gives you a feel for Patagonia. Windy and desolate. You can ride for miles in the open country knowing a sizzling asador (lamb on a spit) will be waiting when you get back! There is also El Chalten and the Fitzroy near by for climbing and lakes for fishing. You need to spend more time in this area than in Ushuaia. We booked everything in advance because we were travelling over xmas. I did all my booking independently through the web. Flying from Italy on Argentinian airlines we got a very good deal on all the internal flights. In two years a lot has changed in Argentina. We were there during the major upheavals and the peso crash. I think everything should be a lot cheaper now. We used the Footprint guide to Argentina which was good on background. Time Out Buenos Aires is fundamental for restaurants, street markets etc. Bruce Chatwin in Patagonia is good.
Unfortunately I don't have any web addresses right now but I may be able to trace them and send them to you if you'd like to mail me. Or I can post then here if anyone else is interested.

Mama Feb 2nd, 2004 09:47 AM

Thank you for very helpful information and please forward any addresses or more info to this address [email protected]

Graziella5b Feb 2nd, 2004 10:36 AM

Hi, go to www.crucedelagos.cl
and you will have all the inf. you need.
The crossing is lovely, a clear day is a must to fully enjoy it.

Cost was one way $160 lunch not included.

Water is safe todrink in Chile, Argentina and Uruguay.

Graziella5b Feb 2nd, 2004 10:38 AM

Coming back from Puerto Varas to Bariloche by a nice bus, lovely road too, was $15 dollars.

Booro Mar 19th, 2004 01:57 PM

I've been to the country twice...once on business and once for pleasure. If you are interested in nature, head to Patagonia. Chabut in general and the P.Valdes area are a UNESCO World Heritage site and filled with seals, whales, penguins, Patagonian hares, etc. It is about a two hour flight to Trelew to begin the exploration of the area. Another favorite spot for me was the glacier region. We also went to Ushauia and except for the fact that we were at the southern most city in the world, not much to write home about. From a small town perspective, I wouldn't miss at least a day trip across the river (from Buenos Aires) to Colonia, Uraguay. It is a very nice relief from the hustle and bustle of BA. My wife and I are going back in a couple weeks and will be visiting BA again along with Iguazu Falls and the Jesuit Mission Ruins in the area (dating to the 1600's). Hope that helps.

jenm Mar 25th, 2004 08:57 AM

I would also reiterate that you really should go to Iguazu Falls. Words and pictures do not begin to describe the incredible beauty and majesty of the place. We loved all our time in Argentina and spent time in Patagonia which was fabulous. Still, the highlight was Iguazu Falls. Spend at least 2-3 days so that you have time to explore both the Argentinian side and the Brazilian side. Amazing wildlife, we saw huge slow moving lizards, hundreds of butterflies, and inquistive coatis. The sound of the falls is as much a part of the experience as the sight. We spent 3 nights and were busy every day. We'd think that the falls couldn't get more impressive or amazign and then would see a different side of them and get blown away again. Don't miss going out to the Garganta del Diablo overlook to feel the raw power of the falls. You get drenched, but it's hot enough that it feels fabulous. Also, definitely go to Patagonia, we enjoyed Perito Moreno Glacier and the Upshala glacier. And Punta del Este was a nice relaxing break from things, but not like the warm water of the carribean or Hawaii. Lots of beautiful beaches and very relaxing, but if you have to pick and choose. Iguazu and Patagonia are more unique. And of course, Buenos Aires is an incredibly dynamic city with great markets, museums and restaurants. Have a great trip.