Argentina/ChileTrip Itinerary Help Request

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 10:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Argentina/ChileTrip Itinerary Help Request

FLYING LA-Buenos Aires
4 nights Buenos Aires Four Seasons

Fly BA to Ushuaia
3 night cruise, Mare Australis, Ushuaia to Punta Arenas, stops at Cape Horn Nat Park, Wulaia Bay, Gunter Plushow Glacier, Magdalena Island.

Fly Punta Arenas to Puerto Montt.
Spend 1 night in Puerta Varas.

Lake Crossing or drive to to Bariloche
Spring for 3 nights at Llao Llao Resort.

Fly Bariloche to Iguassu Falls via BA.
3 nights at Sheraton

Fly to Rio
3 nights at Ipenema

Fly home to LAX

Any comments on number of days on each stop-add some, subtract some?
Sequence of the trip? This will be late March-early April.Yikes, I am missing the Final Four! Alternates such as 3 days on land in Patagonia- Torres del Paine instead of cruise? Best day trips from BA? Should I spend more time in/around Puerta Varas? Can you rent a car in Chile(Puero Montt) and drop off in Argentina(Bariloche)?

Thanks in advance.
Gary
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 05:32 AM

Hi Gary, We did a similar itinerary last year in March, this looks good, we too considered the cruise from Ushuaia to PA, but it got too expensive so we flew from Ushuaia to PA and visited the Torres del Paine w/a private guide. It was awesome. We then flew up to PM and stayed there instead of Puerta Vargas, which is a much, much, much better choice. It's very quaint, like a German Village, PM was a big industrial city. We did the Lake Crossing, spent 3 nights at Llao and didn't want to leave, it's amazing. We thought 2 nights at IF was enough, unless you get there late the first day. Didn't go to Brazil so cannot comment on that part. If anything, I would cut one day off BA and add to the Ushuaia part. We spend 3 nights and loved it, then 2 nights in Puerto Natalas for the Park. You will love this trip!
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 09:10 AM

I was wondering if you took (or are taking) this itinerary? It sounds like our dream trip (not until Nov/Dec) - and I wanted to hear how it went. I'm esp interew=sted in how the 3 night mare australis cruise went.

Thanks for any updates!

Carol
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 11:09 AM

Hi dugiotok, A great itinerary, lovely hotels too. The location of the 4 Seasons is superb,
regarding renting a car in Chile and returning it in Argentina I do not think it is possible. Check with Avis.
The Lake Crossing is lovely, providing you have good weather, I mean it is really fantastic with good weather if not is fine. So I would do that insteat of the driving through mountains and passes you are not that familiar and distances in South AMerica are big.
Around Bs As there are good estancias to visit and spend a day riding horses, eating "asado" etc. which are really fun. Even if you are not a great rider they manage to have you galloping and feeling the wind in your face, a wonderful experience.
We went to estancia Los dos hermanos and was very nice but I know there are others.
Rio of course is a lovely city. The most beautiful panoramic views you can imagine. Good luck and have a great trip.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 11:11 AM

It just occured to me for those three days, why don't you try www.cavaswinelodge.com in Mendoza. It is only 1 hour + flight I think, they pick you up, and this place is out of the world. In the middle of vineyards, a nice spa, great food, and they can arrange all your outings, visits , etc. Have a look.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 01:59 PM

Gary...don't worry about missing the Final Four...UCLA takes it all this year!

I've traveled in the area...do not miss that lake crossing, from PM to Bariloche..outstanding...don't even think of driving it. Lao Lao is fabulous, although we stayed with friends nearby but visited the hotel daily.
IF is amazing..2 days is plenty..be sure to take the jungle jeep trip which deposits you at the boat landing and an open boat (10 passenger) takes you right smack up to the falls..soaked! Great photo ops!
I would strongly suggest you stay at Das Cataratas Hotel on the Brazilian side...great colonial style with awesome views of the 271 cataracts. In Rio, instead of the touristy joints along Ipanema, try our favorite boutique, across from the beach..Hotel Ouro Verde...also has one of the best restaurants in the area.
Enjoy!
Stu T.