Argentaina Chile Lakes How much time to spend?

Jul 10th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Argentaina Chile Lakes How much time to spend?

Flying from Buenos Aires to Bariloche and then traveling via the lakes to Puerto Vara, Chile. How many days would you recommend spending in this area?
Jul 10th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Jed

Of the things that you have read about Bariloche, what interests you? How many days do you have to consider?
Jul 10th, 2008, 10:36 AM

Puerto Varas is a very small town, so I would say no more than 2 nights, are you heading elsewhere from there?
Jul 12th, 2008, 09:00 PM

I agree Puerto Varas is a small town, you can take a day 's trip to Puerto Mont, we went there a few years ago and found very inexpensive passenger vans that take passengers from one city to the other. The ticket was I think 1 dollar. They are fine and all locals take them.
In Puerto Mont there is a very interesting fish market, have a great lunch not inside the market but out side on the restaurants on the water. They are inexpensive too and better.
A lot of the success of your trip relies on the weather, when the volcanos can be seen the views are magnificent same thing for the Cruce de Lagos trip.
I think BARILOCHE offer more possibilities to enjoy your stay than the Chilean Puerto Varas...
Also in Puerto Varas learn from your hotel how the taxi fares are. I believe there is a flat minimum fare sometimes taxi drivers try to overcharge.
Jul 25th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Our interests are seeing the scenery
not onto adventure pursuits.
Is three days too long in bariloche. It appears to be a city.
Jul 25th, 2008, 10:23 AM

We landed in Bariloche and stayed at an old lodge called Tunquelin (sp?). Hung out there for 2 days and then rented a car, drove across the Andes and stayed in Pucon, really pretty. We then drove north through the wine country in Chile, not south to Patagonia though. Be aware, renting a car in Argentina and driving it across the border is a logistical challenge. Enjoy, the scenery is gorgeous.
Aug 2nd, 2008, 03:18 PM

You could easily spend a week in and around Bariloche. Here is an idea of some activities.
http://www.barilochehouse.com/activities.htm