arequipa in may- need help.......

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are going for 3 days to climatize for cusco. staying at "la casa de abuela". is this a good 3-star choice? also, can anyone recommend any short hikes or car rides to scenic or interesting places? (not going to colca).
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 03:27 PM

have you search in tripadvisor.com?
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:13 AM

Just returned from Arequipa/Peru. We stayed at La Casa del Melgar. It was lovely! The rooms are basic, but they are all different and very nice. The public areas of the hotel are amazing. The building itself is beautiful...made out of sillar. Plus, it is located in a great area...walking distance from lots of great restaurants. The rate was only $35 a night! I highly recommend the hotel.
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

thank you. we now have reservations at la casa de abuela. did you notice it?
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:59 AM

No, sorry, I didn't see the hotel. I have read good things about it though. Arequipa is a lovely city. Don't miss the Santa Catalina Monastery...it is beautiful!
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

t-chica, thank you again. in arequipa are there any short car trips or easy walks you would recommend? in aguas caliente can you recommend gringo bill's, or any 3 stars? jack
Old May 12th, 2005, 11:33 PM

Another hotel there which I like is Casa Andina - it is newish, clean, in a good position and they make a nice breakfast. I was in Arequipa last week and stayed at a budget hotel and although it was cheap ( someone made the reservations for me) it did lack the things I prefer and the C.A has those.
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:48 AM

bodhijack,
I'm sorry, but I don't have any info on the hotels in AC. We didn't spend the night in MP, we took the train back the same day. In my opinion, this was a huge mistake. A few hours was not enough time to spend in MP and Aguas Calientes seemed to be a fun place to spend the night. The historical center of Arequipa is much smaller than I expected. Everything is walking distance, there is no need to take a taxi anywhere. There is a lot to do in the center, so we never ventured far outside the city. The only taxi trip we took was to the suburb of Paucarpata to go to the restaurant Tradicion Arequipena for lunch. The restaurant was a bit touristy, but it was still very nice. The food was good and they have a nice courtyard with tables where you can eat outside and enjoy Arequipa's beautiful weather.
Old May 13th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

tc, gracias! jack