Arenas del mar or Tulemar villas with kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of going to Costa Rica in February or April. We will be there for 7-10 days, and we will be bringing our 3 and 9 year olds. We are looking for a nice place with good food, pool, and beach. Both places look nice. Any recommendations?
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 02:53 PM

We've been to both. The surf at Tulemar beach is less energetic than in front of Arenas del Mar. The beach slope is more gentle and longer. The buildings at AdelM are very nice and luxurious. You might end up climbing a lot of stairs, though. The beach restaurant at AdelM was just perfect for the noon meal...eat right on your beach lounge. We were not really impressed with the main restaurant. It's convenient (more convenient than the trip back to the main drag in a car or taxi) but the menu seemed to strain at being stunning rather than tasty. Purely a matter of taste, however. I guess I say that about any restaurant where they build little towers with your food.

The Buena Vista Villas/Tulemar bungalows property would appeal to me primarily because they are closer to a variety of restaurants. You would often still need a car or taxi, but it would be a little easier to come and go. The older Tulemar Bungalows were nice when we were there, but they are becoming more and more like historical landmarks.
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 03:39 PM
mad

We went to Tulemar Bungalows with our three yr old and it was perfect. calm, private beach with toys and a restaurant right there, which made lunch super easy. a bunch of restaurants within walking distance. Lots of pools to choose from. we stayed in villa mot mot and loved it.
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 05:59 AM

I've been to Arenas del Mar a few times and it never disappoints! Right on the beach with two pools, easy access to town, super friendly and helpful staff - they're always pointing out wild animals and birds in the trees! And the rooms are just incredible - get an ocean view, you won't regret it. The staff will drive you around the property in a golf cart if you don't want to walk. For me, the best parts were being right in the rainforest with the waves crashing outside my room and all of the cool wildlife that lives on the property! Your kids will love it!
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 09:47 AM

I believe the beachside cafe at Tulemar only serves breakfast and lunch but as mentioned, there are many restaurants within walking distance. Keep in mind that there's a wide range of accommodation options at Tulemar from the original bungalows (which I believe have no outdoor deck) to stunning private residences and everything in between so the variation is huge. We stayed at upper Villa Mot Mot and loved it. Monkeys visited our deck daily and a sloth was in the neighboring tree.
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 12:49 PM

For a family with kids, I would definitely recommend Tulemar! Like others said the waves aren't as big as they are at Arenas del Mar, but in my opinion that's actually a good thing. You don't have to worry about strong riptides here and the beach is more of a cove good for kayaking and boogie boarding. I believe Patty is correct, the beach bar/cafe only serves, breakfast and lunch, but there are several area restaurants within walking distance as well as a grocery store and ATM. Another good thing about the Tulemar properties for families, is most of the rooms are equipped with kitchenettes and some even have full kitchens if you want to do some cooking in your room from time to time. They also have four pools to choose from, one is adults only, but this will give your kids opportunity to have some variety between the pools and the beach. It's a perfect spot for seeing wildlife!
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 01:22 PM

The Tulemar property is wonderful and the private cove is great. Love the location.
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 01:50 PM

We stayed at AdM last January. Wonderful property and as nice as any place we've been in CR. Also, there was wildlife all over the place. However, it would be a bit pricey with kids. We've never been to Tulemar, but my take is that AdM is better for those who want a luxury hotel (by CR standards) while AdM is perhaps bter for those who prefer the privacy and fewer amennities of the condo/villa.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 09:09 AM

Hi Galas, I will stay no doubts at Arenas del Mar you will enjoy the best service, good beach, very nice facilities and stunning views

If you need any further information on Costa Rica, let me know I had been there several times in the past 5 yrs
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 01:08 PM

We have stayed at Tulemar twice with our granddaughter (Villa MotMot both times). We loved it, she loved it, the wildlife was spectacular, and the private beach perfect for toddler play and relaxation. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend. . .
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 01:07 PM

We (family of 4)stayed in a Buena Vista Villa one bedroom suite and loved it. The bedroom has 2 queen beds and there's another bed in the living room and kitchen area. We had monkeys on our balcony every day and saw tons of wild life on property. The beach area is great as is the location. The surf was pretty active during our visit but that could have been a timing thing. Enjoy!