Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Arenas del Mar (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/arenas-del-mar-804579/)

neglex Sep 4th, 2009 11:55 AM

Arenas del Mar

Has anyone stayed at Arenas Del Mar lately? We are going there with our two teenage daughters in December. What is it like these days? Any suggestions about rooms? If the four of us stay in an Ocean Breeze suite the girls would be in the unairconditioned living room to sleep with just a ceiling fan. Are the evenings in December cool enough so that they would be comfortable?

Any tips on not getting sick in Costa Rica?
Thanks.

volcanogirl Sep 4th, 2009 12:17 PM

We've been to CR several times and have never gotten sick; we eat anything we want from fresh fruit to ice, drink the water, etc. No problems.

neglex Sep 4th, 2009 12:33 PM

Wow! That's amazing. I thought it was supposed to be a huge problem. Glad to hear that it isn't. What about shots or other prophylaxis like for malaria? Thanks.

volcanogirl Sep 4th, 2009 12:45 PM

That's really up to you; most people don't take any preventatives. We've never done it. Malaria hasn't been a big problem in any of the areas we've visited.

MonicaRichards Sep 4th, 2009 12:56 PM

I've actually never heard of Costa Rica being a problem for getting sick. My family never has on our three trips there except this last time my husband got an ear infection from going down the waterslide into the pool about a million times in Los Lagos in Arenal...

qwovadis Sep 4th, 2009 01:49 PM

Have done fine at MA with just fans quite cool in Dec.

www.mdtravelhealth.com CR correct CDC/Travel info

Food and water precautions stongly suggested.

No CDC requirements for malaria meds

except for rural areas in the Province of Limon

Just use repellant works for Dengue too...

volcanogirl Sep 4th, 2009 02:12 PM

neg, I should add that we do wear mosquito repellent. Mosquitoes have never been a huge problem though, just a couple of bites.

neglex Sep 4th, 2009 02:33 PM

Thank you everyone!

Cayuga Sep 5th, 2009 09:51 AM

Thanks for your interest in Arenas del Mar. We are looking forward to your stay with us. December is one of the coolest months in Costa Rica and a great time to visit the country. Many of our guests prefer not to use A/C even in the bedrooms as the windows have big screens and there is a great ocean breeze coming in. Should be no problem. Also, we have portable A/C units in case you need one.
In terms of not getting sick, if you use the same precautions as at home, you should be fine. We have many families at Arenas del Mar.
Let us know if you have any further questions.
Hans Pfister
www.cayugaonline.com
We are the management company for Arenas del Mar.

neglex Sep 5th, 2009 03:45 PM

That's good to know. Thank you so much. I have some questions about our trip....is there anyway to contact you? Thanks.