Arenal volcano: obscured by fog?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of traveling to CR at the end of April and staying several days in Arenal. However, I've read several places that the volcano is frequently covered by fog and that you might not be able to see it at all. I know weather is unpredictable but does anyone have any idea of how common it is not to see the volcano? I would be traveling with my toddler so most of the activities in the area are out and I would just be going for some light hiking and volcano viewing.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 09:14 AM

It can be shrouded in clouds and that's why I always advise people when they go not to be dependent on seeing it...that said, obviously the longer you have there gives you a better chance of seeing it in full view. When we visited in May the volcano was in view every day for a good part each day, and in March it was in view for about 2/3 of the time. That said, I often read reports where people were there for 2-3 nights and did not see it...I guess that really doesn't answer your question. I think it's pretty hit or miss I wouldn't be so bold as to try and give you a percentage.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 09:28 AM
RAC

I'd recommend taking a pass. If the only reason is to see the volcano, you're gambling a lot of time, money, and psychic restoration on the weather.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 09:58 AM

It's definitely hit or miss. Last year in March, we had perfect weather, no clouds whatsoever. Last month we had the first day with good viewing (85% of cone), following day you could barely see across to the next cabin let alone see a volcano. The next two days were clear and sunny with good views, again about 90% visibilty with clouds just at the top of the cone.
I don't know if it's worth it with a toddler if you aren't able to do many of the activities. Would Cano Negro boat trip work or the toddler would be too restless?
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 09:58 AM

On our first trip, we saw it every single night - great lava flow that we could see from our hotel balcony for 4 days. Last year I almost wouldn't have known there was a volcano there - very misty. I really love the area, so it didn't really bother me, but you really can't predict when it will be visible. If you go, I hope it cooperates! Even though we couldn't see it, we could still hear it, and that's kind of neat - just a roar coming through the cloud bank. Sometimes it sounds like rolling thunder. Our hotel offers a service where they will call you in the middle of the night if it becomes visible because they know everyone really wants to see it.