Arenal, Manuel Antonio, Tamarindo Dec Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2006, 08:02 PM
jkheigle

Arenal, Manuel Antonio, Tamarindo Dec Itinerary

I probably got the spellings wrong.

Dec 14 Arrive SJ 1:45 pm; night at Gran d'Oro
(HA)

Dec 15, drive to Arenal via "culture route" on www.arenal.net (great site). Good times at Lost Iguana after check in at 2-3pm; grounds walk, pool bar happy hour, drive to La Fortuna for dinner....

Dec 16: Arenal Area Tours (independent, we have a car (Your Input Desired); afternoon /pm spa at EcoThermales or Tabacan (YOUR VOTE please)

Dec 17: Arenal Area Tours (independent, we have a car (Your Input Desired);

Dec 18: Depart Fabulous Arenal Area and head to MA. Should we drop car at SJ and hop a plane? Or drive on.... we like the freedom and really, how many zip-lines, forest walks should we make? How bout the country itself experienced making the 5 hour drive? I'm kind of stuck on this one and hope for some feedback.
Night in M.A. at Costa Verde (I like the proximity to weird things like that airplane bar --- but not for 10 days.....; and I want to see monkeys, and birds.

December 19: 2nd night at Costa Verde II OR I (Comments please) after a long day of <<<<, a little beach exploring (did all the zips, rafts, and bridges in Arenal) and well, a tour of MA park (it's not Monday).

December 20: I get sea sick, so the deep sea fishing is out. We haul our butts down or over to some beach in the area and walk. What else is there to do? It's beautiful. And we love it, but we sure want a libation (none on the beaches? huh? byo?) We head back to the hotel, on to the airport for afternoon departure (Quepos/SJ/Tamarindo) where in Tamarindo we can actually roll to the beach if we want to.(Capitan Suizo) I'm not a surfer, but I like the big waves (should happen in December} and I want to see turtles; and I want to slumber in the sun, in the breezes, and drink umbrella drinks. At least for a day, or two.

Dec 21: Capitan Suizo
We don't get out of bed. Well, eventually we do cuz word's out that the sun's out early in the day...save the hay till later that day when the rains hit? When does it rain this far north on the coast in Mid December? Anyone out there KNOW? HA!
I will not hold it against you if you say one way or the other, but it is my guess that you should spend the late afternoon doing something elsewhere., like a good nap while it rains......this is the beach, you know.
OK, so I'm game for a little sunset cruise. Is that a real good idea when it is really windy? Green does not work on me.

The day passes pleasantly enough, actually I'm glad not to be racing about doing some kind of tour, but I know I'm missing something (WILL ya'll pleae tell me?) Cause we leave Tamarindo the next day, though not till 11 am, a few good hours after sunrise.

That evening we're home in Nashville.
The next day, "MOM's" for XMAS eve....
Yup, we'll be in a state of culture shock.

Thanks for bearing with me as I write out my anxieties and my anticipations... Please.... any suggestions would be appreciated:
RECAP:
THURS Nite: SJ
FRI Nite: Lost Iguana
Sat Nite: Lost Iguana
Sun Nite: Lost Iguana
Mon Nite: Costa Verde (MA)
Tues Nite: Costa Verde (MA)'
Wed Nite: Late Arrival to Tamarindo, Capitan Suizo
Thurs Nite: Tamarindo, Capitan Suizo
Fri Nite: Tamarindo, Capitan Suizo
Sat AM: Flight Tam to SJ around 11 am

Fri

Old Nov 17th, 2006, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good to me
IMHO,capt suzio is the best hotel in tamarindo
costa verde is lovely but reports of reception staff 'losing the plot' but great location!
in la fortuna, i choose eco thermales over tabacon and with the money u save -usd65 entrance to tabacon now- do a day trip to Cano Negro Reserve!
my travelblogs are here:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/la_for...ome/index.html

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/tamarindo/home/index.html

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/manuel...ome/index.html

Old Nov 17th, 2006, 10:43 AM

Consider El Novillo Restaurant along the road from Lost Iguana toward La Fortuna not far past Tabacon Hotel on the left. Minimal building but good food that gets recommended here often.
The waterfall hike is nice and be prepared for a swim if it is hot. The drive up to Arenal observatory Lodge and their trails is good if you like birds and great views. The Skytram/zipline is near there also.

Have a wonderful journey!

CV1 or CV2? We really needed the AC when we were in Manuel Antonio in March so we were happy to be in the B family section w/AC. Only problem was we didn't get the superior room so we had mostly a view of trees and the few people who would travel along the back sidewalk on the ground level. From the deck we did get some ocean view but not enough for what we were hoping for.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 07:51 PM

You're kidding! $65 for Tabacon now? That must include the dinner buffet or something? Surely just admittance to the hot springs isn't so expensive. Last time we were there, it was close to $40--all day.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 07:23 AM
jkheigle

Thanks ya'll for the thumbs up!

I worry a bit about the view from Costa Verde but hope that we'll be happy with it. My boyfriend wants a/c, so we have to be in the B building. They can only give us a studio / studo plus with only partial ocean view.

I know I've read it somewhere many times, but now I'm all confused. How long of a drive is it from MA to SJ airport? We're now thinking of driving back to catch our 3:10 pm Sansa flight to Tamarindo, rather than flying Quepos to SJ.

Car drop off fee plus the added flight cost eat into tour and libations money....

Thanks for all your restaurant suggestions!

Old Nov 18th, 2006, 08:58 AM

U read it right shillimac, USD65 not including buffet- which sucks anyway!
i remember going there 4 years ago, it was USD15
i think Tabacon is now what is called a `tourist trap'
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Hez

Hmmm, I just looked on Tabacon's site and a day pass with buffet is $60. Just the day pass is $45. http://www.tabacon.com/day-passes
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 02:38 PM

I'd definitely skip the buffet option. The pool bar would be my choice!
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 08:15 PM
jkheigle

I think I like the day pass, and pool bar idea. read somewhere that the food was "ok" at pool bar and not that unreasonable. I just want to see the grounds, soak in the pools (and be able to see where I'm going....) So, just a couple of hours or so. Sounds like going to a movie in NYC for the money at 45 dollars a person! (yeah, I get chocolate raisins, popcorn, a coke and a movie pass for about $30 in NY, then the cab fare....)

DO I NEED TO BOOK before arriving at Lost Iguana, weekend of December 15......

DO I NEED TO BOOK anything before arriving? Canyoning, Sky Trek, etc.?

Thanks all ya'll,
Jackie

Old Dec 6th, 2006, 09:04 AM

yeah if u compare iot like that then tabacon is worth it.it was definitely USD65 when my friend and hisa partner were going so if its USD40, aint bad!
pool food is ok, drinks cost a lot. u definitely need to book hotel, maybe not available, its late!!
hotelñ can book u tours, there are very few tours in CR that ever get full!
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 09:16 AM

do a day tour- 8 to 3- to Cano Negro Reserve:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/cano_n...ome/index.html