Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Are we supposed to pay entrance fees for drivers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for example, when we go to irazu volcano or lankaster gardens...

Does their fee include their entrance fee or do they not come in with us (this would work for lankaster but i'm not sure how that would work with Irazu).
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 05:55 PM

Honestly I'm not sure what the proper custom is or if there is a right or wrong answer. When I had a guide and went to Zoo Ave I asked him to come in with me (I paid) and he seemed kind of surprised but very pleased to do so.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 06:01 PM

If you hired him through an agency, like Swiss Travel, they will cover any entrance fees, but often the drivers stay with the vehicles while guides go in. Drivers and guides can very often get into places for free anyway if they are bringing paying clients. I've been with many who didn't have to pay to get into La Paz, the attractions at Monteverde, etc.

Sandy
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

hmmm. I'm not booking through a travel agency (actually jennifer at swiss travel was supposed to suggest an itinerary and since the initial response to my request, I haven't gotten an itinerary and that was around 3 weeks ago).

I don't think I'm getting both a driver AND a guide...I've been contacting drivers like Oscar, Leo and Gustavo (who are 2 in 1 ...I've gotten 2 quotes back, but I'm not sure
if this includes their entrance fees....and what about lunch? Just wondering what the proper custom is.

THANKS!
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 06:49 PM

Hello!
Could you tell us what type of rates your finding from the guides? We will also be looking for a guide for 1 or 2 days. I've read that Oscar is very good. Seems to me, that hiring a guide may actually cost less than doing a tour through a tour company (we're only 2 people in our group). I've also read expect about $120/day. Not sure what that covers, but it does sound like a fair price.
Thanks much
Carrie
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 07:00 PM

I can only tell you what happened with us and Oscar Ronald from Jacamar. From what I can, guides mostly get in at most places for no cost. Oscar was allowed in for free and had the buffet with us for free at LaPaz. Ronald did not have to pay when we went to El Silencio. However, we did ask him if he would have lunch with us at El Novillo. We did pay for that although I don't think he intended for us to do so. When we went to some other places, Oscar stayed with the van and our belongings while we went to do the tourist thing, such as the Basilica, the Gold Museum and National Theatre, although I'm not sure he would have been able to find a parking space at the Museum and Theatre. We just made plans for him to pick us up at a certain time at a certain place. We did pay for Oscar's lunch at Sanchiri Lodge, but that is something we were planning to do all along. Oscar did not come in with us while we went to Lankester Gardens. He stayed with the van. His cousin, Rudy, transported us from PanAmerican Highway to MA with a stop along the way at Tarcoles. He stayed with the van and ended up paying someone some type of coin (don't know how much) for parking at the side of the road while we looked at the crocs.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 07:03 PM

Sorry, I means Oscar and Ronald not Oscar Ronald....
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Seawitch, that was helpful BUT also confused me...

are we talking Oscar Mora...the famous Oscar? Is he just a driver and then we still require a guide? or does Oscar's quote include the guide? I thought that drivers were also like guides...just confused about how your Ronald fits into the picture...

In answer to dcsam Leo has responded with a price of $110 and the famous Oscar is charging $150 (I heard he was quite expensive)...my only thing is, my understanding is that Oscar works at Vista Del Valle, where they only charge $120/day for their drivers...?!
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:01 AM

gailching - I would say Oscar is more of a driver with a very extensive knowledge of the area, people, history, customs, etc. On one of our days, Oscar was not available, so he arranged for Ronald of Jacamar Tours to take us here and there. Ronald is definitely a guide, and a very good guide I would say. We used him for El Silencio. He took us wherever we wanted to go, made suggestions of where to go and then walked us through describing the flora and fauna the whole way.

I can't give you any insight into Oscar's price as compared to Vista Del Valle's price. I wasn't aware there was a connection until just recently, and that was after we had returned from our trip. I'm sorry.

I'm not sure this helps. Please let me know and I'll try to do better.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks seawitch. I understand now. At first I thought you had BOTH Oscar and Ronald at the same time - one doing the driving, the other doing the touring.

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 06:21 AM

Gail,

Many drivers are very knowledgeable. The difference w/ a guide is that an official licensed guide in CR has a university education and a whole lot of special training -- they are really impressive. So guides cost more than drivers, and you have to decide what you want. The professional drivers I've used have been very impressive -- I felt like I was in really good hands and they had nice clean vehicles too.
p.s. Sorry you didn't get a response from Swiss -- they will hear about it!

Sandy
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

I don't want anyone to get in trouble!!

Maybe I was just not a priority b/c my trip isn't until mid-January...
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 09:31 AM

Gail, I didn't use her name, I just let them know that they weren't responsive. Actually you could have written to me. I organize trips for people too and I get a good response from Swiss because we do a lot of business together. Sometimes there's a little of that "manana" thing going on in CR that we're not used to. Sounds like you're going to have a great trip though.

Sandy