Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Are we safe taking a shuttle from Cancun airport to Riviera maya?

Old Aug 10th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are renewing our vows on the beach of Dreams resort in Tulum and people are freaking me out with all of this crap saying its not safe and tourists are getting kidnapped and raped...we have several guests coming with us and our son (2).. should I be worried and cancel our trip?? Its in November
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 10:42 AM

Please do some searches regarding the US Dept of State's travel advisory to Mexico. There are several threads about this on this forum.

There is no reason to "freak out" about this. The areas subject to the travel advisory are those with high crime and drug trafficking, primarily along the borders.

We drive in this area every trip. Use your noggin' and don't engage in risky behavior.

The highly publicized rape/murder of an American woman who was found in a gutter in Cancun was NOT a Mexican issue, but a domestic one. It was determined that it was her husband who murdered her.

Read the warnings and be smart. Do not be the last people in a bar drunk with valuables showing at 4:00am. You wouldn't do that at home, would you?

As to the shuttle, of course it depends on what type of shuttle, but yes, it's "safe."
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 10:46 AM

Here you go:

http://www.fodors.com/community/fodo...t-advisory.cfm
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 02:07 PM

You should be safe, just take normal precautions about stuff like petty theft, do not take expensive jewelry or leave cameras lying around. I just got back in May staying in a condo and had a great time.

Book a reputable transfer company, I have personally used USA Transers twice to go to Akumal (north of Tulum just a small bit), they are reliable, safe drivers and they speak good English. If you want they will make a quick stop at 7-11 or OXXO for beer or bottled water.

Best Day, Cancun Valet and AGI tours are also recommended.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 07:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<tourists are getting kidnapped and raped>
That is completely ridiculous.
Who? Where? I keep up with the current situation in Mexican tourists destinations, and this is simply not true.

I'll bet you a million bucks the people passing on these stupid rumors have not been to Mexico themselves. Am I right?

Mexico is a foreign country, and it's not Disneyland. You need to be smart about your money, possessions, don't be flashy, don't get drunk, don't do dumb things. Don't get sunburned, don't drink the tap water. That's about it.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 05:41 AM

Thanks, suze. As I've said before, I live there part time and travel by myself quite often back and forth to the States. I've never had a problem and do not pre-arrange transport before I get there. I just take the bus or shared shuttle once I get out of the terminal. I also take the colectivo back and forth between Playa del Carmena and Tulum on a weeky basis to go to the beaches there. Again, by myself. Again, I've never had any problems.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 05:47 PM

See if you have an email or web contact at your hotel that might suggest the preferable transfer company for that hotel/resort. This is usually a way to lift a few extra $$$ from the start of your trip, but on the other hand, the hotel obviously has a vested interest in only suggesting a very safe and reliable company. We go to PDC every Nov with Royal Resorts/Thomas Moore and have not had a problem. - Even with the colectivos, which was actually qutie fun.