Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Are there an places like Bosque del Cabo in other parts of Central America?

Apr 11th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

My fiance and I really enjoyed our trip to Bosque del Cabo in Costa Rica last year and are looking for more countries in Central America with similar resorts and nature, wildlife. If there is any other place similar to Bosque del Cabo or beautiful lush resorts in Central America that you can recommend, please let me know.
Apr 12th, 2010, 04:57 AM

We've had our eye on Chan Chich in Belize; you might check it out.
Apr 12th, 2010, 07:20 AM

Not really that similar I guess, but I also have my eye on the Canopy Tower in Panama (http://www.canopytower.com/). Seems pretty intriguing.
Apr 12th, 2010, 07:21 AM

Sorry, the parenthesis got in the way: http://www.canopytower.com/
Apr 12th, 2010, 08:23 AM
RAC

Quite a few good options in Belize--Chan Chich, Chaa Creek, and Lamanai Outpost Lodge.
Apr 12th, 2010, 08:57 AM

As birders, we loved Canopy Tower. Bosque is for almost everyone, of course. Canopy Tower attracts the die hard birders, but we loved it there. Accomodations are way more basic, and the food was somewhat less to crow about, but still it was filling and tasty. We really enjoyed Miraflores Locks and an evening in Panama City.

Canopy Tower isn't a place with its own trail system like Bosque, but rather very good guides that take you to the best places for birding, Pipeline Road being probably the most famous world-wide. My husband went fishing on Gatun the day I birded Pipeline. We both had an amazing day.

We loved Chaa Creek in Belize. It is quite a bit different than Bosque, but beautiful bungalows, great birding, and some really cool tours nearby. Beautiful property, very good food.
Chan Chich gets rave reviews. We were unable to get it booked and Chaa Creek was our second choice; I can't imagine anything being much better!

Check out Morgan's Rock in Nicaragua, not far from San Juan del Sur.
Apr 12th, 2010, 08:59 AM

I've been to both Chan Chich and Lamanai Outpost and posted a trip report and photos http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...ebmar-2009.cfm

I haven't been to BdC but in talking with those who have been to both, I get the sense that there's generally more variety/abundance of wildlife at BdC vs comparable jungle lodges in Belize. That said, Chan Chich offers a good chance of seeing cats which I gather is rare at BdC. I have a pic of the weekly sightings board in my Chan Chich album which shows how frequently cats are seen. Chan Chich has extensive trails and is a bit higher on the luxury factor than BdC from what I understand, but it's inland so doesn't have the combination of ocean and jungle. We actually enjoyed Lamanai Outpost a bit more though it's more rustic. The setting on the New River lagoon is beautiful and the boat ride in is an adventure. They don't have as extensive grounds but the entrance to the ruins is right behind the lodge and you can walk the trails and visit the ruins which are in a very lush setting with howlers, spider monkeys and other wildlife any time. You also have access to both terrestrial and water activities.

I haven't stayed at Chaa Creek but have stayed at other properties nearby in the Cayo area. The wildlife viewing in this area won't be as good as Chan Chich or Lamanai but you have easier access to other activities such as caves, a visit to Tikal in Guatemala as well as closer ruins in Belize, etc. Most who stay in Cayo do a lot of activities offsite whereas Chan Chich and Lamanai are more geared toward onsite exploration.
Apr 12th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

I had been thinking Belize might be our best bet. I have been all over Panama and Canopy Towers did look like a unique and great place to stay. Now I just have to figure out if I want to do Chan Chich, Lamanai or Chaa Creek, they all seem very appealing to me!! It sounds like I might have to do a night somewhere in the Tikal area if I do Chan Chich or Lamanai.

Thanks for all your responses!