Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Are gifts of clothing or toys appropriate in Mayan Riviera resorts?

Jan 17th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

I know that in travelling to some countries, such as ythe Dominican or Cuba , hotel staff are known to welcome "gifts" of clothing for children, jewellery, etc. I am leaving for Mexico to-morrow, and just don't know if it appropriate there, or might be considered an insult. I don't want to do that!
anyone have any experience in this area?
Jan 17th, 2009, 03:52 PM

where will you be? if you're near akumal there is a small school just before the towns arch that would love contributions. (if this appeals there is a wal-mart in playa del carman to go get things)
we took them tempra paints/brushes, christmas lights, school supplies, some extention cords, and kiddy trinkets (bracelets, matchbook cars, etc for teachers to give as rewards). i kept wishing i'd thought of a soccer ball & pump.

we stayed in a villa. in addition to cash tips, we left snorkel gear, a set of knives (the caretaker was also a chef and cooked dinner for us 2 nights) and some very lightly worn clothing.

so i say yes take 'gifts'. i think they will be appreciated - especially things for children.
Jan 17th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Virginia - As near as I can tell, we will be about 30 km away from Akumal.(Xcaret) If we have the opportunity , I may take your suggestion. Thanks again.
Jan 17th, 2009, 08:07 PM

I visit Puerto Vallarta, and have not been to the Mayan Riviera area. There we are encouraged to make any donations or charitable gifts thru established organizations like the church, hospital, orphanage, etc.

If you give to hotel employees, I do know that some places you need to include a letter saying it is a gift so that the person is not questioned about having the items.
Jan 19th, 2009, 04:02 PM

don't know if you have a computer with you.
are you staying at occidental grand?
it's probably 30 mins down 307 to akumal. if you go snorkel at yal-ku lagoon. and maybe have a drink at la buena vida.