Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Anything to worry about food/water wise in Rio? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/anything-to-worry-about-food-water-wise-in-rio-168405/)

sicky Jan 16th, 2003 08:55 AM

Anything to worry about food/water wise in Rio?

Do I need to worry about anything with regard to food and water for my trip (Going for Carnaval, oh boy!) I don't want any type of Montezuma's Revenge issues etc. I don't know if that is an issue in Rio so if someone could let me know, that would be great. Obviously, this did get me on another trip to Cancun...<BR><BR>Also, I will be going with 2 other friends (both males and all of us single) and we want to experience all the glory Rio/Carnaval. Anyone want to contribute tips to our good time?<BR><BR>Thanks to all.

justfine Jan 16th, 2003 09:18 AM

The food and water are fine.<BR>Tip: don't drink too much alcohol and say no to drugs.<BR>

Dilermando Jan 16th, 2003 11:51 AM

Here in Brasil we generally don't worry about food&amp;water quality, except in a few underdeveloped regions. Restaurants are ok. Before taking something from a food vendor, first evaluate his cleanliness. Keep away from his mayonnaise and sauces, if they don't look fresh. As for your program in Brasil, it depends on how long you will stay and your budget. You may visit all of Rio de Janeiro's highlights in 4 days. Other major brazilian attractions will ask for extra days, to board a plane, and to fix all details in advance, because Carnaval is high season. Please be more specific, so I will be able to offer you extra advice. Have a nice stay in Rio de Janeiro.

Don Jan 16th, 2003 11:59 AM

I have been to Rio many times and I did really get sick 2 times, so it can happen. Most of the time I have been ok but the last time I brushed my teeth everyday from the water in my sinkfrom the faucet and not that I was really sick but lets just say I had a very queasy stomach and my complete digestive system was working in a very rapid mode. Next time I go I will brush my teeth using bottled water like I usually did but you sometimes can't help getting water in your mouth when showering.

Ann Jan 16th, 2003 12:11 PM

Had no problems when visiting Rio recently. Brushed our teeth with bottled water, but rinsed our toothbrushes with tap. Drank the juice, had frozen drinks and ice with our sodas in reputable restaurants and hotels.

George Jan 16th, 2003 05:24 PM

We drank the water from the faucet of our hotel at the Sheraton and from the drinking fountain in the gym downstairs. No problem whatsoever...same with food. <BR><BR>The only thing to be careful with are the caprihina's (Brazil's answer to Margarita's)...they go down smooth but they are strong and I did have a heck of a hangover the next day :-)

E.Brand Jan 17th, 2003 07:36 AM

In Rio you will find the best and the worse.Stay in a good place in south region of the city. In Copacabana you will find travel agencies that can help you to go in the Samba School parade or ( Escola de Samba ). Choice one of the bigest samba school like &quot;Beija- flor&quot; , &quot;Mangueira&quot;, etc.<BR>You can buy water botle in the super-markets, but I recommend drink Fruit juice. You aways must choice a clean place. If you stay in a good hotel or a new hotel you aways find a good water and nice foods.<BR>D&ograve;nt go to &quot;favelas&quot; cause is danger. D&oacute;nt walk with your passport and to much money in the streets, keep at the hotel safe.Use a copy of the passport in the street and aways use a card of your hotel in the pocket.<BR>You will find a nice places and beaches, nice tours like &quot;Ilhas virgens&quot; or Paradise Island is 60km south of Rio.You can buy in the hotels or travel agencies. (litle train)trenzinho do Corcovado, Sugar loaf you can go by taxi, cost less.<BR>If you have time to spend after visit down town museuns, beaches, restaurants and you you find very good restaurants like a portuguese foods in copacabana and down town.<BR>Brazil is a continent, I recommend Iguassu falls, &quot;Porto de Galinhas&quot;, if you like nature go to &quot;Itacar&eacute;&quot;, &quot;Natal&quot;, &quot;Fortaleza&quot;, etc<BR><BR>Have a nice trip - Ask aways about tourist information, in Rio : Riotur<BR>