Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Anything interesting to see in the part of Mexico close to San Diego?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Vita

I will be in San Diego for a conference until November 3 and I'm considering taking an extra 3-4 days to go to Mexico. I'm not really interested in Tiajuana or going to the beach unless there are other interesting things to do there. I'm interested in seeing ruins but I'm not sure if there are any of interest in the morthwestern part. I like hiking, history, architecture, different cultures, and general site-seeing. Would crossing the border for just a couple of days be a good idea? Would it be safe for a woman in her late twenties traveling alone? Good time of year to go in terms of weather/crowds? Thanks.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 08:20 AM
x

the problem is you can't take rental cars into mexico.
and, even if you have your own car, i don't know if i'd recommend it considering your interests. most places convenient for a 3-4 day vacation are party places or, like ensenada, cruise ship cities so it's cheap tourist type. i LOVE mexico but the baja doesn't really offer too many of your interests.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 08:23 AM
x

you'd be safe enough with common sense. border crossing i'd plan on an hour or two.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Al

You will be in the wrong area for ruins. Maybe Esenada would be fun to relax in for a couple of days. There used to be boat trips there avavilible in San Diego- I assume there still are. That might be fun as opposed to making your way through Tijuana. There is also a spa somewhere around Tecate that is supposed to be real nice- does anyone know the name of this place?

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Marilyn

I think the short answer to your header question is "no".

However, you could fly somewhere else in Mexico in a few hours and have the experience you are looking for for a little more money. As a woman by yourself, I would be careful wherever you go in Mexico. Personally I feel safest in Oaxaca, but that is also a longer and more expensive flight.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Babs

my folks live across the border in SD...we go there all the time. TJ (to survive...don't drive!) park RIGHT at the border and take a bus to revolucion (the tourist street) if you must go. getting back thru the border in a car takes 4-6 hours now, unless you go in the wee hours of the morning. the bullfight in TJ by the ocean is one of the best arenas for the sport in the world. rosarita beach is okay, ensenada is okay and there are cruises that will take you to ensenada i think for the day, which would do you just fine. no ruins. my FAVORITE thing to do is to drive to Puerto Nuevo, the mexican LOBSTER villiage. tiny, just above the sea, by ensenada, and the town is just 10 mex. lobster rest.'s. they have an annual festival in the fall that is fabbooo! cheeep!

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The spa near Tecate is Rancho la Puerta. Too expensive for me.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:15 AM

I am only familiar with Tijuana in the Baja, but when I used to go to San Diego I used to see ads for a boat from San Diego harbor to Ensenada. This seemed to me like a good way to go check out a place a little further from the border and get a little culture.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 10:46 AM

Hey! I've got an idea for you....how about a drive through the "Mexican Wine Country" ??

Believe it or not, quite a few excellent wines are made just south of the border and the hilly terrain between the border and Ensenada is home to several new boutique wineries, some of which have done exceptionally well in international tastings and competition.

I wrote an essay on Mexican wines that talks about some of these unknown gems, and it gives some specifics for places where you could stop in to sample a few glasses along the way. The article is at:
http://www.epinions.com/content_2725159044

By the way, *SOME* rental car companies do allow cars to cross the border if you buy sufficient insurance. About 2 years ago I rented from a National location in Harlingen Texas and they *DID* allow me to take the car into Mexico. Ask around, but be prepared for most companies to tell you "No way Jose."

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 02:37 PM

There is not much to do considering your interests in the border region. If you really want to see some culture take a quick 2 1/2 flight from Tijuana to Guadalajara and spend some time in that fabulous city which has many things to offer. during November flights are cheap...