Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Anyone taken a flight from Cozumel to Merida for a daytrip?

Aug 20th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

I've read a bit about Merida and thought it might be nice to break up a week of beach and diving in Cozumel with a city excursion. I've read that on Sundays there are street fairs and music - sounds like fun. It seems it would only be worthwhile to fly as the ferry/drive or bus combination would spend too much time getting there and back from Cozumel.

If anybody has visited Merida as a daytrip from Cozumel, how was the flight? Will I be able to book it as late as the day before? Is there anyplace I can check flight schedules on-line beforehand? Should I rent a car for the day at the airport or just taxi/bus around? I really don't care about museums and that sort of thing for this visit but would like to take a short tour to get a feel for the city. Stop for a nice lunch and listen to some music or visit some food-type markets. Maybe shop for a hammock. Is that realistic for a daytrip?

Aug 24th, 2003, 09:39 PM

I took a tour offered by my Cancun hotel to Merida, so didn't make my own flight arrangements. But all of us on the tour agreed that there was nothing much to see and no real reason to go there. If it hadn't been for the second part of the tour -- an afternoon at Uxmal, which was fabulous -- the day would have been a bust. There is a huge food market in Merida "where the locals go," but I can't imagine spending the necessary time and money just for that.
Aug 25th, 2003, 03:08 AM

Sundays in Merida is something to see and experience. Centro in Merida is blocked off to all traffic. There is music, dancing, live performances, arts and crafts for sale, horsecarriage rides, and lots of food. Also many old buildings and beautiful catherdrals. Merida is easy to drive in, but its a very big city and lot of traffic. We took a bus everywhere and it was cheap to go, but if you are only going for the day and really want to see the street fair, I would recommend hiring a driver.
Aug 25th, 2003, 05:30 AM

Agree with mayte's comments--much to do and see in Merida! A day trip might be too short but would still be worthwhile.
Merida is a lovely colonial city and very interesting center. I would also recommend a Sunday in Merida.
Buying roundtrip air on your own is very expensive from Cozumel. I would check with an agency in Cozumel and see what they might have to offer.
Enjoy!
Aug 26th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I hope we can find a reasonable flight because we'd really like to get over to Merida for the day. We enjoy street fairs with food, music and people-watching and it sounds like Sunday in Merida fits the bill perfectly. Robert I agree that a day will probably be too short but we'll settle for just a taste of Merida this trip and maybe plan on a longer stay in the future if we like it.

Thanks again