Reload this Page >

Anyone Stayed at Krystal Ixtapa????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2000, 01:32 PM
Tracey

Would like info about the resort or any suggestions for other resorts. Does anyone have any favorite places to stay in Zihuatanejo. Never been to the area and would appreciate any advise......

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 01:22 PM
terri

Tracey, <BR>My husband and I stayed at there about three years ago and had a great time plus great service. Have you tried looking in the travel guides for places to stay. I have had pretty good luck using them. I use Fodors and Lonely Planet. Have fun. T.

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 02:07 PM
Susan

Personally I don't like Ixtapa, but Zihuatanejo is great. The hotels there are much smaller, more intimate. You can actually swim in the ocean in Zihuatanejo, whereas the waves in Ixtapa are huge. Plus there are lots of good restaurants in Zihuatanejo. You could do a search to see what's available. We stayed in a 'bungalow' or small 'villa' - we had 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, and kitchen facilities. It was great. It wasn't high end, although it was very nice. I know that Zihuatanejo has some absolutely gorgeous places. I really do prefer Zihuatanejo.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 07:46 PM
julie

Zihu is absolutely beautiful! I must admit, however, that I have stayed in Ixtapa both of the times I have been to the area simply because I have founds some pretty fabulous travel deals through Apple Vacations--great company if you use it only for transportation and accommodations. I'm 29, and for the past two years I have spent 8 days in this area of Mexico each trip and I have never been bored or unhappy about it. I enjoyed Ixtapa, but I agree that the faster you explore outside of Ixtapa the better (but don't even think of taking the "Isla Ixtapa" tour--total waste of time--tourist nightmare). Zihu is just a short bus ride or taxi ride away, and my friend and I managed to spend most of our waking hours there exploring and trying the best we could to blend in. After a long but invigorating day, we usually ended up having cocktails at one of the swank hotels there on the beach (even though we were usually underdressed) and then wandering down to eat at a local hangout a few hundred yards away! There is also excellent shopping in Zihu with some gorgeous arts/crafts by local artisans. I must tell you that after a very negative experience in Acapulco 4 years ago, I thought I would never return to Mexico. Now, I hope to return to Zihu every few years! <BR> <BR>By the way--if you've ever watched "The Shawshank Redemption", the last scene of the movie is shot on the beach in Zihu. Also, the Meg Ryan movie when she is a recovering alcoholic has a scene when she is on vacation in Zihu--ironically, we had drinks at that place a few nights!

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 10:26 PM
yoly

I stayed there in 1993. It was very good!! The service was excellent. We had sushi one nigth and another night we went to the restaurant that suppose to be like Casa Blanca. In Ixtapa My husband and I have the experience to go scuba diving for the first time with just a short lesson; we had 3 persons taking care of us and doing a video. Great Vacation!!!

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 07:33 AM
Matt

Just returned from Ixtapa last weekend. Stayed at the Melia Azul and had a great time. The resort is great, the food is great (by Mexico standards), the beach is calm, and the staff was outstanding. We took an 11 year old and he had a blast.

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 05:36 PM
kate

I highly recommend Zihuatenejo over Ixtapa. It is much more authentic, and naturally beautiful. THe ocean is calmer, the food better, overall a much more pleasant destination. We spent 5 days in Zi at Villa Del Sol, then went on to stay at the Westin in Ixtapa. What a downer. The hotel was ok, but the overall atmosphere of the area was what I can only call depressing. Ixtapa was built exclusively as a resort, and seems very phony and manufactured. I suppose if we hadn't had such an outstanding experience first in Zihuatenejo, then it would have been better. I am sure you will enjoy yourselves, just consider yourself warned!

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 08:40 AM
Gloria

My husband and I just returned from Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa. We were scheduled to stay 4 days at the Krystal but after 2 days we left. It was awful. The rooms were dirty and there were bugs in the bathroom. We also had a 50$ food and beverage credit that they said they would not honor because we were checking out early (we had already paid the rooms in full through a travel agency). We didn't want to complain (we never told them why we wanted to leave), we didn't want a refund or an upgrade, we just wanted to leave, but they were such jerks about letting us check out early that we felt it best to recount our misadventures. There are no safes in the room, and the day we checked out there was an american tourist complaining at the front desk that someone had stolen $200 from her room the night before! It is certainly not "5 star" as they claim. We left the Krystal and went straight to the Villa del Sol in Zihuatanjo which was just gorgeous, and finally felt like we were on vacation! The rooms are nice, the pools are gorgeous, the food is okay, and the staff is very accomodating and helpful. There are great places to stay and eat in Zihua. I would definitely stay in Zihua over Ixtapa. If you want a fantastic dinner, make reservations (early) at Villa de la Roca, a charming bed and breakfast right next door to the Casa Que Canta (same gorgeous views!). The food is the absolute best and it's reasonable! Good luck!

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 06:11 PM
Monica

Hi Tracey: You specifically asked about the Krystal..I visited Ixtapa/Zihua in 1993 & 1999. I cannot disagree with all the positive comments on Zihua..great shopping/bargaining at the flea markets, restaurants & authentic atmosphere. On both visits, I did, however, stay in Ixtapa, 1st time at the Dorado Pacifico-beautiful and great food and then most recently, at the Krystal(next door to Dorado)...must say I enjoyed both stays equally and found neither to be dirty nor the people rude. Both have beautiful pool & beach areas. I prefer the beach and I found the music a bit too loud by the pool (this, coming from a 36 yr. old!). Visit both areas and you will find something favorable at both!

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 03:41 PM
steve

My wife and I have been to Ixtapa 8 times over the last 12 years. We find it the perfect place to just veg. out. In fact we are going back for 9 nights on dec.20th.,staying at the Krystal. We habe stayed at the following hotels; Westin, Sheraton (barcelo), Raddison (doubletree) and the Krystal. The Westin was very nice, but a bit of a walk to get to town. Of the other hotels we liked the Krystal the best. Our room did have a safe. The accomodations are nothing to rave about but I have found it that way in most of the hotels in Mexico. The premisies were very clean, pool area GREAT (everybody always looked forward to the volleyball games in the pool). If anybody would like to contact me, please do. I would be more than happy to answer any questions that you have. by the way it is a very safe place for families especially with young adults.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 04:30 PM
Cathy

I have been to Ixtapa 8 years in a row. Four years we stayed in Ixtapa and the next four in Zihuatanejo. I would much prefer to stay in Zihuatenejo as it is much more quaint and the food is great. Lunch at the villa del sol was great. The beaches are nice and swimming is easier as the waves are not as high. It is a beautiful little bay and downtown is walking distance. Have Fun