Anyone have suggestions on Ambergris Caye?

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 09:03 AM
julie bradbury

Anyone have suggestions on Ambergris Caye?

We are going to Ambergris Caye in early November 1999 and need to find a place to stay. I've done a lot of research and need to make a decision. Help...and thanks!

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 12:42 PM
Susan

We were there in February 1998 and stayed in a budget family owned and run hotel called Ruby's Hotel. It was very clean, right on the waterfront in town. The rooms varied - I think we had room 14, which had windows on 2 sides and was probably the best room. For $25 U.S./night, we were happy. There is a guy called Manuel who ran snorkeling trips there - very good value also. But it is a budget hotel so it may not be what you want. There are some nice looking hotels there and I'm sure someone else can advise you there. (One point - we've travelled a lot, but Belize was probably the hottest place we've ever visited - maybe it was abnormally hot that year, but getting a place with a good fan or air conditioning is essential!)

Old Jul 10th, 1999, 01:10 PM
E. Pineda

My family and I: two teenagers and my wife,we spent a week at the Captain Morgan's retreat in Ambergris Caye during the spring of 97.
It has been the most wonderful vacation for the four of us. It is located outside of the town of Sn. Pedro, 10 minutes by boat or 20 by bicycle.It consits of small cabanas with fans and no a/c. Very clean and private. It was secluded. It had no tv, radio or air conditioned. Neither one was needed.
they served breakfast and supper. Excellent meals. Nothing sophisticated but delicious. The beach in the front of the hotel is not for swimming. Most of the activities are related to diving, snorkeling and fishing and you have to rent a boat for that.
The service in the resort was very good and friendly. It is not a luxury resort it is more a place to hide from a hectic life that offers a lot of possibilities for outdoors activities. We had an excellent dive master, "Patojo".
We are planning to return in the near future.

Old Jul 19th, 1999, 08:28 AM
John

I stayed at the Mata Rocks resort during a vacation in March. The accomodations were great. Mata Rocks is right on the beach, has access to a dock (for water taxi), has free bicycles (5 minutes to San Pedro Town), and, best of all, a full service bar right on the beach-- "The Squirrel's Nest." The prices are reasonable, and the staff is great. Say hello to Laurel if you stay there.

Old Jul 20th, 1999, 06:51 PM
Michele

We just got back from Ambergris Caye. Wonderful trip & wonderful people. We stayed at the Sunbreeze hotel. Everyone there was very accommodating & nice. The rooms were always clean - we tracked in a ton of sand every day & the next day, everything was completely cleaned up. If you go diving, there is a dive opeator at the hotel - Aqua Dives. Located at the end of the pier at Sunbreeze. Excellent service from the dive guides. Enjoy your trip. Half of our group is already planning the trip for next year - same hotel, same dive shop.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 07:31 PM
j.Nicholls

check web for San Pedro Town Belize this site gives you all hotels, snorkeling diving, good food. Suggest you contact Julia at Sunbreeze Hotel ¨^sunbreeze @btl.netçAlso Ramons village are Cabanas just south of S.B. You are then only 10 minute walk to north end of town. Still excellent hotels further south but you may want to rent a golf cart for travel.or a taxi but all are within walking distance of townsite.People are very friendly and speak english, but a lot of spanish local dialect is heard. On Fri & Sat night go to Lions Arena club for fabulous barbec. chichen --cheap.It is safe to eat from vendors that set up by park downtown.All restaurants are excellant food & service.Rubys is good & right on beach & priced right but recommend Sunbreeze this year will be 6th trip and we would stay but housing is starting to get pretty expensive.

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 08:22 AM
Chris

My suggestion...skip Ambergris & go to Caye Caulker instead. When in the Caribbean I don't want to have to duck out of the way for cars/bikes when walking down the street. I also don't want congestion or hype. You'll get none of this on Caulker & if you go to th Iguana Reef Inn where my wife & I honeymooned on Caulker, you'll have a wonderful room with AC, refrigerator. Plenty to do on Caulker too! Just my humble opinion.