Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Anyone flown Click Mexicana or Aviacsa ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to book flights Mexico City to Tuxtla Gutierrez (then drive to San Cristobal de Las Casas). Click Mexicana has decent schedule but their internet prices are confusing to me. They show a price of 550/mp and when I go to book it, they then show an additional 500 /mp taxes. How can the taxes cost as much as the ticket? Is it safe to book online with them? How reliable are Click and Aviacsa?
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 11:42 AM

Flight taxes here in Mexico are confiscatory.
M (SMdA, Gto)
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 10:16 AM

Yeah...airfare taxes in Mexico take a BIG bite!

As for Aviacsa, I love 'em, and as they grow their route map, they just seem to get more and more convenient to me. One thing to know if you decide to try Aviacsa: they have sale fares available on Tuesdays...so wait til tomorrow to give 'em a call.

Buen viaje!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Muchimas gracias a ustds. Lucky Mike, it seems you live in my favorite Mexican city, San Miguel de Allende.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:35 AM

Can't speak for the airlines you mention except to say I, like you, was HORRIFIED by the big 'down' that followed the big 'up' - you know - you think you have found just the flight at a reasonable cost - and then, wham, those taxes!!

But have you checked Interjet? I flew with them to Tuxtla early Nov having bought the ticket on the internet three weeks previously. Cost was 745 MX pesos inclusive.

The plane was a brand new Airbus. The catch is that the flight departs from Toluca not Benito Juarez. However, the airline run a courtesy bus from a number of locations in DF that costs only 70 pesos - so even that isn't a real drawback.

May I ask why you are planning to drive to San Cristobál? There's really no need and you can enjoy the views much more if you don't have to concentrate on the road.

www.interjet.com.mx

Cheers.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Yes, if Toluca (TLC) is convenient for you, InterJet is a VERY good option.

I flew with these guys for the first time about a week ago. Wow! *MUCH* better than low-cost airlines in the U.S. Their fares are rock-bottom, the planes are nice, new, clean Airbus A320s with leather seats and PLENTY of leg room, plus they do snack and drink services in-flight. They also manage to assign seats and have a sane boarding process (factors that make me avoid Southwest like the plague).

In short. InterJet is a great option if they're going where you want to go.

Also should mention Volaris, since they also fly out of Toluca, and I think their courtesy bus is free (from Santa Fe).

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Rally helpful info. I will check out the websites on both InterJet and Volaris. We're not planning to do the driving ourselves from Tuxtla to San Cristobal dlc. We thought we'd arrange for someone (taxi driver with whom we negotiate a rate or ?) to drive us. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 02:16 AM

Hello again,

I'd never have thought of it, but I guess you could negotiate a fare with a taxi driver at the Tuxtla airport for the trip to San Cristobál. I'd just have assumed that it would be expensive (for one). But if there are several of you it could be the cheapest way!! Or maybe money is not a factor - though your original question hints that cost does come into it.

In case you want to try public transport just take a shared taxi into Tuxtla - costs 100 pesos and you buy the ticket at a booth at the airport. The driver will take you where you want to go in the city. There are collectivos that run to SC but as I didn't know exactly where they went from (and it was early days with the Spanish) I asked to go to the bus stn - and from there took an OCC bus (cost 28 pesos). OK sort of bus - trip takes 2 hours. Collectivos would be faster.

Have fun.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 08:27 AM

We've already booked our accommodation in San Cristobal and they offer transport from the airport at Tuxtla. Their 'taxi' costs 400 pesos which apparently is a deal. We'll have already had a long day by the time we get there, so I'm definitely booking it. Depending on where you're staying, they may offer to arrange something similar.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Good point Susan. I'll contact Parador San Juan de Dios. Where are you staying?
Robbie
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 04:32 AM

We've booked Bela's B&B - gets good reviews on Trip Advisor and the owner has been very responsive.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, our hotel is checking on transport for us.