Anyone familiar with the Jungle River Cruise?

Jun 19th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Anyone familiar with the Jungle River Cruise?

Hello,
The driver we will be using in CR in July recommended the Jungle River Cruise (he said we would stop on the way from Arenal to M.A) over the Cano Negro. Anyone familiar with the Jungle River Cruise and if so, how does it compare to the Cano Negro option? Thanks so much.
Jun 20th, 2009, 06:52 AM

He might be talking about stopping around the Rio Tarcoles; there are a lot of big crocs and scarlet macaws in that area. I've heard of boat tours going around that area. They usually feed the crocs, which is a big no-no, but people like to see them. Cano Negro is one of my favorite things, but we haven't done the other one so I can't really compare.
Jun 20th, 2009, 07:53 AM
RAC

He's probably referring to the Jungle Crocodile Safari on the Tarcoles river. We took that cruise on our most recent trip, and it does compare favorably with Cano Negro in a few respects--it's cheaper and closer while giving you the same kind of birding opportunities. You see slightly different non-bird critters on each--on Cano Negro you see monkeys and caimans, on the Tarcoles you see GIANT crocodiles (they could swallow the caiman whole). You also see Scarlet Macaws on the Tarcoles. Yes, they do feed the crocodiles on those tours, which is supposed to be a big no-no. But, the ship has sailed on that one. The crocodiles hang around the Tarcoles bridge because tourists have fed them, so the damage is done so to speak. Also, the money from tourists is one reason why local folks are willing to put up with 1000 lb potential maneaters hanging around. I've also heard rumors that the Tarcoles is a place where criminals like to get rid of the bodies of their victims. "You think those crocodiles get to be 17 feet by eating chicken?"

We stayed overnight at Villa Lapas and did the afternoon croc boat tour (complete with viewing a Pacific sunset) and we did the early morning tour of Carara NP before heading up to Arenal.
Jun 20th, 2009, 08:52 AM

If this is JD's Rio Tarcoles tour, I highly recommend it. They are more environmentally sensitive, and don't feed the crocs. These are a smaller boats too, not the big boats that the other companies use for the cruise ship passengers. Much more personal.

When we had our office in Quepos, we represented this tour and sold it in combination with Carara Biological Reserve. Our guests loved it.

The guide on this tour back then was a very personable man named Pedro. I don't know if he is still working the tour. But he is a very knowledgeable and witty guy.

We sold the tour through the Quepos area hotels, and did the transportation. I don't know if anyone is offering it there anymore, because the tour company did not have a van. But if you have a driver that will stick around, go for it!

The last time I checked, the rate was $49.00 per person. The tour company is based in Punta Leona, and the telephone number is 2257-3857.

If your taxi driver has offered to arrange it, ask him how much. He might be collecting a commission, and that is why he is willing to hang around. (As long as this does not affect your rate, there is nothing wrong with this. We all have to make a living). Just make sure that the price hasn't increased significantly. If so, book direct and come to an arrangement with the driver for his down time.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer any more advice.

Warm Regards,
Pat Hewitt
Travel Professional
Jun 20th, 2009, 09:24 AM

Do you think this might be it? It turned up in a search.

http://www.jdwatersports.com/jungle_river.htm
Jun 20th, 2009, 10:40 AM

That's it!

Best,

Pat
Jun 20th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Pat, Volcano Girl and RAC! Very helpful info. I guess it would be nice to not have to take a whole day to do Cano Negro (with all the driving time)if we could do this on the way to M.A. I don't suppose there are any safety issues with the crocs, are there? I'm pretty certain the Jdwatersports tour is the one our driver is talking about. I'll check with him on price. Thanks again.
Laura
Jun 20th, 2009, 11:31 PM
RAC

No safety issues as long as you stay inside the boat.

The tour we did was $25.

http://www.junglecrocodilesafari.com/
Jun 21st, 2009, 07:54 AM

laura, you'll have to let us know how you liked it. Please report back.

Search this Thread