Reload this Page >

Anyone been to Sayulita,Mexico?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 01:30 PM
Don

Would like to hear any comments on this area which is N. of PV. re:beaches, accomodation, activities. Thanks in advance.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 05:53 PM
Peggy

We stayed at Casa Carolina last October & loved the area. We are frequent visitors to Mexico so know what to expect. A one day visit to PV was fine but we prefer smaller quieter places (except Saturday night when they turn up the techo-disco music!). Sayulita is a small fishing village. Dirt roads, dogs & children running about, perhaps a bit intimidating if you are not comfortable with the atmosphere. Great little cove for kayaking & surfing. Several restaurants along the beach we just walked down to every night. Seems to be a big surfing spot. Hillside casitas with steps down to the beach, small open air stores. We felt totally comfortable walking around at night & seeing the real Mexican family life. Here is a link to where we stayed www.vrbo.com/vrbo/5108.htm. Casita #4 was the one we rented & it was great....and so inexpensive. Hope that helps. Any questions let me know.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 06:57 PM
Don

Peggy, many thanks for the info. It sounds like our kind of place and the villas you stayed at sound great. I'm assuming you rented directly with the owner and did not have any problems. Is the beach very developed/populated there - do not want the high rise scene.Thanks again!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:32 AM
Peggy

Rented directly from the owner, sent $100.00 USD deposit to hold & rest in cash on arrival. No problems. The owners have their house on the property & thye are there from Nov to May. Casita #1 & #4 sit below their house, tucked in the hillside with about 75 steps to beach, great views & vegetation, full kitchen. Bottled water was provided (big sparklets type set up), dump trash daily, fresh towels once or twice. There are no high rise structures there period. There are no paved roads. It is mostly little cinder block homes & open front stores. Some Americans & Canadians have retired or built rentals there. The beach is not very populated. Early morning fishermen & towards the other end is the surfing crowd. A couple restaurants aren't much more than plastic chairs & umbrellas in the sand! $1 for beer & $1 for salsa. Not for everybody. If you want e-mail me with your real e-mail address & I can send a picture or two. The website I gave you accurately portrays the casita. The blue bedroom is a picture of #4. But I am leaving for Belize this weekend so Let me know!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:44 AM
Susan

Would anyone have a recommendation in Sayulita for something similar to these casitas but smaller? I am only one person and these places look great but a bit much for just me. Thank you.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:20 PM
Don

Peggy,<BR>MANY thanks for the great info. No need to send further pics as their site is very good. Have a great trip to Belize and if you have time when you get back, please post a trip report. We would love to hear about your adventures. Bon voyage!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:52 PM
Peggy

Let us know if you go Don & hope you have a good trip. Susan, the place is really nice even for one person. Very private with you own terrace. That is one place I really could see going by myself & not feeling out of place. Just a thought. Gee I should get a commission! Good luck you guys. I will post a trip report on Belize. But probably edit it to Ambergris Caye, our first stop. Then we go to Cayo Espanto, a private island, which is very expensive & most people just like to bash you for spending that much money. Well it is our indulgence & I can't wait!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:19 AM
Don

Thanks Peggy and there will be no "bashing" here - we'll keep an eye out for your post and look forward to hearing all about it. Have a ball!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:51 AM
Susan

Thanks for the great intro to Sayulita. I contacted Carolyn & she recommended Casita #2 for 1 person (it's also a bit less expensive per week). If anyone needs hotel help in "old town" south Puerto Vallarta just drop me a line.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:55 AM
Peggy

Susan, Casita #2 is over the garage. Doesn't mean it doesn't have a nice view but I would ask Carolyn if there is a private terrace. I did not see one except for the patio at the entrance that everyone uses. I know it is a little more for #1 or #4 but splurge if you can!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:36 PM
Susan

Peggy, Thanks SO much for taking the time to check back. This is the kind of information only people who have actually seen a place can give!! Truthfully even the $375 a week is a budget stretch, considering I'm only one person, and being in such a small town. Will probably continue to look about further. I've made 15 trips to PV, staying in "old town" and love it there, but venturing up the coast will be something new. Again, thanks for being so thorough and honest about the property.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:28 PM
Susan

Another Susan with questions! I'm also interested in this area. It's been a long time since I was last in Puerto Vallarta. We've visited several other beaches in Mexico over the years, as well as several places in the interior. I'm always looking for somewhere new to visit. I've heard about Bucerias, and just recently Sayulita. How do they compare? They can't be too far apart.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:45 PM
Peggy

To Susan@sympatico: We drove past Bucerias turnoff going to Sayulita but we did not get off. Yes they are close together, with Bucerias being closer to Nuevo Vallarta. On the way back to theairport we stopped at Punta Mita for lunch. Beautiful beach but no real Mexican town there & though it was lovely just too commercialized for our tastes. North of Manzanillo is the Costa Careyes area. We've been to Hotel El Careyes & loved it. Totally secluded with tiny towns along the coast. It is more expensive though. But that whole area, La Manzanita & the towns around there look interesting. This October we are going to Tamarindo north of Manzanillo again. Can't wait. <BR>To SusanPalmero: Do a search on google.com for Sayulita accommodations & you will find more places. That is where I started my search & actually Carolyn's daughter answered a post here with the info on Casa Carolina. But I know I found several other accommodations. Check other places on the same website Casa Carolina was on. We love old town PV & wished I had known to ask you questions on restaurants before we went. We went to Le Kliff & La Palapa on recommendations & enjoyed both. I have been to PV several times but it had been years ago. Sure has grown!<BR>Anyway, Hope this helps & happy hunting to you both. Share if you come up with some good finds! <BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:02 PM
dan

Try www.haramararetreat.com, www.sayulita-villas.com, www.sayulita.com.<BR><BR>mexicodan<BR>www.mexico.mexico.info