Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

More questions about Costa Rica lodging,insects,ect.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking at all the different area in Costa Rica and think I have narrowed it down to three areas that interest me the most.I don't know how hard it will be to include all three into one trip.Costa Rica has so much to offer. The seeing wildlife (sloth,howler monkey ect.)and the volcanos are my main interests however.

I am thinking of staying in the San Jose area for a few days to see Poas,go on the Aeril tram,Sarchi,and a River cruise to hopefully see wildlife.

I have heard such good things about Vista del Valle that I thought I would stay there.However I found an old trip report on this board where they had so many bugs in there room at night that I am rethinking this.I am asuming that these cabins are open to allow the bugs to come in.Which brings me to my question.Does anyone know if the rooms in the main building are inclosed,which might be less insects? I know it is the rainforst and am ok with that,but I really don't want them in my room if I can avoid it.
So if Vista Del Valle is out do you have any ideas of something that might be more right for me?

I also want to visit Arenal volcano and stay a night or two here. Any suggestions for lodging here?

I am also thinking of visiting Manuel Antonio. Staying at El Hotel Parador. Same question about this place.Is the rooms inclosed,with some hope of a bug free night?

One more place I would love to visit is Aviarios del Caribe,( they have tame Sloths) located along the Caribbean,south of Limon.I could maybe do these as a day trip out of San Jose,but have thought of staying the night.

Thanks for any info.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 05:47 AM
Iza

Dottie, don't worry about the bugs at Vista del Valle. We stayed there for a couple of nights in 2001 and the only bug in our room was a spider in the bathroom one night. The cabinas are enclosed and bugs really don't get in. I suspect the people who complained probably left their windows open with the light on while they were out to dinner and returned to a roomful of bugs ;-) I would highly recommend Vista del Valle.

At Arenal we stayed at Arenal Paraiso which is a bit rustic but enjoys great views of the volcano. On our last trip we stayed at Tabacon but it was nothing to write home about. People really like Montana de Fuego - check it out.

At Manuel Antonio, we stayed at Si Como No but that was before their expansion. I am not sure what it is like now that it is so much bigger. Bugs were not a problem there at all (just some tiny ants in the bar area).
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 04:44 PM

I agree! I would discourage you from going to the Caribbean side on a day trip. It's right at three and one half hours one way! Makes a great 2-3 day (preferably 3 so you have one full day with no travel) trip.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 10:59 AM

regarding the Ariel Tram Tour - We did that 5 yrs ago and I wouldn't waste my money on it again. Basically, you sit in a cage on a line and it moves through the trees. Fauna is nice. Ho Hum.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 05:09 PM

You didn't say when you are going? We went in December, 2003...LOVED IT! Yes, definitely go to Arenal...we also stay at PARASAIO...it has a hot tub with a swim up bar and gorgoeous view of the volcano. We rode horses to Arenal which I wasn't too fond of..but howler monkeys and hummingbirds everywhere. We went to Tortguero (okay), Drake's Bay (YES!) Monteverde (sky walk is okay to do once..but don't expect to see any animals) Can't help with Vita Del Valle. We are going back this December also. Will visit Manuel Antonio this time...would be grateful if you are going first if you'd let me know where you stay there and how you like it
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 05:16 AM

Dottie, No need to go to the Caribbean to see sloths. You will see them in the wild at Manuel Antonio Park. Also, when we were there last summer and the summer before the Mono Azul restaurant was rehabilitating baby sloths and had them there in the restaurant. You are not allowed to touch them but you can certainly see them.The purpose of this is to return the sloths to their habitat
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 08:30 AM

In Arenal I stayed at Montana de Fuego - it is a great little hotel - by no means luxurious, but it is comfortable and the rooms are bungalows scatters around the property. There is a lovely little pool with a gorgeous view of the volcano (actually there are great views of the volcano most places on the grounds). No bug issues. In MA I stayed at Hotel Si Como No - yes it is large, but it never felt "corporate". I'd recommend it. No bug issues related to the hotel, but in MA generally I was constantly attacked by mosquitos (actually, I had that problem throughout my whole trip in Costa Rica ... just wore a lot of bug spray w/ DEET!) We saw sloths in Arenal area & MA.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for all the great information. I will look at all your ideas. It is very good to hear that sloth and howler monkeys can be seen in the Arenal area.That helps in figuring out what areas to visit.

To: Crazyb1

We haven't made up our mind what time of year we are going yet.It maybe after your trip,as I am thinking of the dry season the first part of next year. So you will most likely get there first. Hope you wll post a report when you get back.Again Thank you.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 04:09 PM

You may want to read my trip report specifically for the Aerial Tram (katolb90, posted last week). Be careful when you go if you decide to go.