Anyone been to Cano Island while in Costa Rica?

Jul 28th, 2001, 05:14 PM
Sandi

Anyone been to Cano Island while in Costa Rica?

Hello! I'm looking for commentary from anyone who has been to Cano Island as a day trip from Corcovado in Costa Rica. Describe your experience, please. Is it a worthwhile excursion or should I spend the extra day in the national park at Corcovado? I would most likely spend one day for each but if Cano Island is not that special I will just stay in Corcovado.

Thanks!

Sandi Maier

Jul 29th, 2001, 06:18 AM
Dave

Several years ago we stayed on the Osa penninsula, and took a sppedboat (about an hour) to Cano Island. We had a hike, saw the bolas (which you can see in San Jose) and remains of previous islanders. It was interesting, and I would suggest it unless there were something more interesting at Corcovado.

Jul 29th, 2001, 09:18 AM
Sandi

Dave,

Thanks for your reply. What are Bolas? How was the beach on the island? Did you see any dolphins during your boat ride out there?

I look forward to hearing from anyone else about this, too.

Thanks!

Sandi

Jul 30th, 2001, 05:56 AM
Dave

Bolas are small to huge perfectly round stone balls. The reason for them is unknown, although some thought is that they were for religious purposes.

When we got to the island, we took a walking tour. I don't remember any beaches or dolphins, but you can check with
<http://www.costaricadiving.com/cano_island.htm> or with google.

Feb 3rd, 2003, 03:17 PM

The ride out to Cano island is enjoyable. We did have five or six dolphins swim along with the boat on the way out, but that might have been an anomoly. The island itself has little wildlife and the "bolas' are disappointing when larger ones can be found elsewhere. My husband went snorkeling and saw little, but while I was relaxing on the boat I saw about a twenty five pound turtle bobbing around by the boat. The beach is nice at the station, but this is where all the boats come and go from. I wouldn't go again, but am glad I visited once. Where will you be staying? There is a nice private reserve right beside the tent camp where we saw the majority of the wildlife we encountered and had the forest all to ourselves. Fee of 2.00 us to enter. Corcovado from the entrance at the San Pedrillo station is very strict about veering from the paths and we saw less wildlife and they seemed, really, a little too accustomed to the tourist presence.
Feb 4th, 2003, 08:52 AM
ALF

I think that the boat ride to Cano Island is fun, and there are good snorkeling/diving locations nearby. You will probably not see dolphins, but there are lots of turtles and loads of sharks lying around. There is also a nice walk you can take to the island interior. I think it is definitely worth the trip.

A day in Corcovado NP is also good - you should spend the money to take a boat to Sirena Ranger Station, then hike inland from there.