Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Any travelers warnings for Cabo (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/any-travelers-warnings-for-cabo-48089/)

Elena Jul 7th, 1999 10:07 AM

Any travelers warnings for Cabo

I have read about alot of unrest in Chiapas and Mexico City (i.e. assaults, carjackings, kidnappings, etc. of many, including tourists). Is it safe to travel to Cabo? Any crime there?

JoAnn Jul 7th, 1999 12:47 PM

Elena, we were there last year, and are leaving for another week on the 17th. We had no problems at all-and we even took the bus to LaPaz. We walked around the area during the day and in the early evenings and were never bothered. Cabo is very *Americanized* and seems to be busy until late at night. Your biggest problem may be the timeshare hawkers at the airport and on the streets offering you trips/cars/tours, but you can "just say no", or go and take advantage of the free stuff--and still say NO! To answer your question of "is there any crime there"--probably, but isn't there everywhere?

Pancho Jul 7th, 1999 09:34 PM

Cabo San Lucas is far removed from both Mexico City and Chiapas. Yes, there is crime there and you should exercise some caution and common sense. The police and authorities in Cabo San Lucas are some of the most corrupt in Mexico so beware of them. Often they are the criminals.

JoAnn Jul 8th, 1999 03:27 AM

Pancho--since you mention that the police are corrupt & sometimes criminals, what is your suggestion if you get stopped while driving in the Cabo area? 4 of us are going down next week for fishing and will be driving along the corridor and possibly to LaPaz. Any suggestions appreciated. TIA

Pancho Jul 8th, 1999 08:39 PM

Of course the best thing is try to avoid being stopped. Stick to the tourist areas and don't drive late at night. <BR> <BR>If you are stopped, just smile and cooperate with them. There is really not much that you can do other than do what they say. Whatever you do, do NOT drink and drive.

JoAnn Jul 11th, 1999 03:59 PM

Pancho, thank you for your advice. We would only be driving from Cabo to LaPaz and only in the day time. Someone mentioned (somewhere) that if we get stopped, to slip $10 or $20 to the police. Is this true? Here that could get you into more trouble! Gracias, senor.

Pancho Jul 13th, 1999 05:25 AM

You do NOT have to be very discreet about it. Yes, $10-$20 will probably take care of most situations. This is very standard operating procedure throughout Mexico.

SuzetteMarie Aug 11th, 1999 01:24 PM

My friend and I had first-hand experience with the corrupt policia in Cabo! We were not drunk or misbehaving... in fact, had just finished dinner and were parking downtown to go to Cabo Wabo.. up pulls a jeep with 4 of them. They jumped out and started searching our jeep and us! Fortunately, they did not do a body search on me, but they did on my friend...EVERY inch of him right on the side of the road... went thru his photography equipment, my purse, etc. I asked them what they were looking for and they said "drugs and gangs" (yeah, right)... we were later told by the mgr at Cabo Wabo that they wanted money. In all of my travels throughout Mexico (including Oaxaca) I've never encountered such a thing. Pancho is right... keep quiet, slip them some $$ and be on your way.

Kathy Aug 16th, 1999 08:38 AM

Cabo is very safe. The local police primarily stop the locals, but yes they do target tourists sometimes. Usually, but not always, ones who give opportunity. Use common sense. We go almost every month and I have only been stopped once. I was alone driving in the back streets, taking a short cut (never again alone!). Even though I was nervous I appeared confidant. Asking what is problem. They asked for id and where I lived. I didn't say I was a tourist, said I lived at Cabo Villas and they smiled and let me go. Go figure! Even tho you can walk anywhere in Cabo, if it is late & had too much to drink...take a cab. Cabo is touristy but wonderful. Lots to do and beaches (not the Pacific) are great.