Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Any Tips/Suggestions for Nicaragua? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/any-tips-suggestions-for-nicaragua-306332/)

sandy_b Apr 12th, 2003 06:11 AM

Any Tips/Suggestions for Nicaragua?

Hi All,<BR><BR>We have 7 days in June and are considerting Nicaragua (we've been to almost all the other Central American countries). Has anyone been and can suggest itineraries?<BR><BR>I did a search and there's surely not much info on Nicaragua . . . not even over on the Lonely Planet!<BR><BR>Thanks for any hints/tips/suggestions you can give us.<BR><BR>Sandy

sandy_b Apr 22nd, 2003 10:24 AM

Trying again . . . anyone with help for Nicaragua? We have 2 weeks before we have to commit to our tickets (we have them on hold).<BR><BR>Gr&aacute;cias,<BR>Sandy

Kathygo Apr 22nd, 2003 05:47 PM

Hi Sandy, I knew it was you as soon as I<BR>saw the question......No, I haven't been<BR>to Nicaragua. Sorry I didn't respond to<BR>you sooner. Hey, why not go and complete your Central America list! I did meet a chap in Boquete who had been there recently and enjoyed it, tho he was happy to get out of Managua (sp?) but found the rest of the country fine.

dncee11 May 8th, 2003 06:02 PM

Sandy, I'm sure you have checked out the other threads here but you're right, there is not much info on Nica. I did find a site called Nicamigo.com, it is a bit of a sales job but some useful info anyway. I hope you go and report back to us your wonderful experience! Good luck!

Howard May 9th, 2003 02:25 AM

Here's a suggested plan for a week in Nic.

Two or three days in Granada, an old colonial city a little more than an hour from Managua. Some nice hotels there, and boating on the lake. Can make an easy day trip to the market at Masaya.

A couple of days in the Selva Negra area, in the highlands about three four hours from Granada.

A couple of days in San Juan del Sur, for the beach. If not interested in the beach, skip it (including it may mean a bit of a rush going from place to place.)

sandy_b May 9th, 2003 05:29 AM

Thanks! I've been able to get quite a bit of info over on the Lonely Planet, those packpackers go everywhere!

We've just about decided to spend 4 days in Granada (w/daytrip to Masaya), 2 in Ometepe, 1 in San Juan del Sur, and 1 in Managua (when we fly home).

We're a little over-the-hill and plumped out to be beach bunnies but we do enjoy the sitting and watching the beach scene while sipping something cold. San Juan sounds so perfect, we just can't pass it up.

I'll be sure to post a report when we return.

Thanks again,
Sandy ([email protected])

Jeff_Costa_Rica May 10th, 2003 07:08 AM

Hey Sandy,

I happen to have done the Nicaragua chapter in the Fodors guide to Central America, and I also happen to be sitting in San Juan del Sur as I type this.

Ricardo's Bar is the place to sip that drink here in San Juan. Monday and Thursday nights are movie nights, when they show a reasonably recently released film on DVD. Friday night is ribs night. But the place is closed on Tuesday.

Granada is wonderful for its history and colonial architecture, but if you'd like a low-stress nature excursion, visit the summit of the dormant Mombacho volcano just out side of town. You'll find a visitors center and easy hiking trails in the cloud forest up there. Bring a jacket. You'll appreciate it with the 3,000-ft change in elevation. Oro Travel in Granada can help you with the tour arrangements.

In addition to shopping at Masaya's markets, you might enjoy a trip to San Juan de Oriente, a town near Masaya, where you can see potters at work. Many of their things end up for sale in Masaya, but there's something very satisfying about seeing artisan work created at the source.

Enjoy your trip.

sandy_b May 10th, 2003 01:44 PM

Hi Jeff and thanks!

Hey guy, where were you a couple of days ago when I bought that worthless Moon Handbook! Now, I have to go look for the Fodor's guide and see what you've written (and what the Moon book missed).

Pottery is the &quot;thing&quot; that I buy myself on my trips as my souvenir, I have now included a stop off in San Juan de Oriente . . . how far (on the bus) is it from Masaya? Can I include it when I visit Masaya or should it be its own daytrip?

Our trip is June 24-July 2 . . . if you're still there then and see two blonde ladies with big hair, a Texas twang, and having a ball, that's we and we'll buy you a drink!

Buen viaje,
Sandy ([email protected])

Jeff_Costa_Rica May 15th, 2003 03:55 PM

Sounds like I should make specific plans to be in Nicaragua at that time, Sandy, but I'll likely be in Costa Rica.

San Juan de Oriente is easily reached from Masaya. There are buses that leave about every 20 minutes during the day. It would be easy to incorporate it into the same day you visit Masaya.

ROBY May 22nd, 2003 12:31 PM

Hi Sandy,

Nicaragua is a good idea, we stay in nicaragua for one months in august 2000.

Which place do you want to see?

I' m happy to help you.

Raffaella

lsbartucca May 23rd, 2003 11:40 AM

hi Sandy,

my advice, don't speed if you're driving and be careful in the city....

have a great time!!