Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for a three day tour near San Jose?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are going to San Jose to join up with our son who has recently enrolled at San Jose University. We are arriving on Tuesday and have hotel reserations for three days. We are looking for an adventure for Friday through Sunday -- we leave at noon on Monday.

Thanks.

John Stanley
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Probably would need some more direction on what you might like.... Will you already have a car? Are you wanting mountains or beach? Want something active or laid back relaxing? What time of year will also make a difference?

If you are wanting mountains over the beach, then I would recommend Arenal area - see the volcano (if the weather cooperates), soak in the hot springs, hike/walk, and other activities.

Depending on the season, you might catch the turtle hatching season at Tortuguero.

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 11:56 AM

If looking for serious adventure you could do a 2 night rafting trip with stay at the Pacuare Lodge. Booked thru Aventuras Naturales. It is fantastic and they pick up and drop off from San Jose hotels.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 01:14 PM

I'd do the rafting as well (haven't yet, but you have the perfect oppportunity!). Either the 2 night, using up your entire time, or do the 1 night and use the other day for the Highlights Tour with Ecoscape. Excellent overview of several areas of the country.

www.ecoscapetours.com
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 04:15 PM

I would check out Tortuguero. A two night trip is very reasonable, and includes meals and tours.

The tours are a combination of hikes and boat rides. You will get back late in the day on Sunday. You could have dinner with your son, and head to the airport the next morning. You usually have to check in three hours prior to departure.

Are you going THIS Tuesday? You need to get to work on this

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can offer more advice.

Warm Regards,

Pat Hewitt
(Travel Professional)
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:07 AM

We did the rafting several years ago. We went with Rios Tropicales and spent 2 nights at their lodge. The rafting trip is awesome (but you need to be somewhat adventurous as you are on Class III-IV rapids - could be higher or lower depending on the time of year you are going). Their 1, 2 and 3 day Pacuare adventures raft the same sections of the river, the only difference is whether you stop 1/2 way at their lodge and for 1 or 2 nights.

The lodge and food are excellent. When we went it was the middle of April so it was at the start of the rainy/green season. But it really didn't matter much because you are the in the middle of a rainforest and getting wet rafting anyway. It is so nice to raft in warm water!!

You can learn more about the rafting and book directly with the company here
http://www.riostropicales.com/english.htm

So as you can see - many options - we all could probably give you better advice if we had some additional direction on what you are wanting to experience and when you are going.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:43 AM

We used Aventuras Naturales as well. We rafted a half day to their lodge on the Pacuare, did the canopy tour in the afternoon, spent the night and then rafted out in the morning. You could have stayed extra days and gone horse back riding or hiked to indigenous villages. They have a French Chef and you stay in our own bungalow. These two days were easily the highlight of our trip.