Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Any stories about buying property in Nicaragua?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Does anyone have information on buying property in Nicaragua? I just returned from Costa Rica and it was suggested that I look into Granada or beachfront in Nicaragua. Just wondered if it is "too good to be true".
Thank You,
Gem
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 05:24 AM

Hello,
Now this is an experience of a friend of mine and his wife. They are ticos (Costa Ricans), but she is from Nicarauga. they have a vacation house in her hometown. This year she went a week ahead of time to clean the house and get it ready for the family, and pay the annual taxes, but they informed her that as she was not a permanent resident in the property, it was in court to be returned to the former owner. Long story short, she ended up having to stay in the house for a 5 month period to show residency in the actual house. Now, she has to travel there quite frequently to prove that she is entitled to the property.
I know this is true as they are as I said friends of ours, I dont' know if I have all teh facts, if maybe they were behind on taxes, or if there were other extenuating circumstances they are not sharing with me,,but I do know she was gone for a long time. If you have an interest in foreign investment in a beach area, drop me an email. I live in Costa Rica, and might have a good deal for you. Hopefully a couple of people who own property in Nicarauga will also reply to this post, as I am only telling you what my friends told me happened. Walt
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 10:05 AM

Hi
You might want to check out the web site www.internationalliving.com. They seem to have a specialty on Granada, and even have an office there. If anything they are a good source of information. Ask lots of questions and good luck!
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Wow, what a great website! Thank you Denzer23!
gem
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 02:05 PM

I have visited Nicaragua and loved the southern portion - plan to take my husband there this summer to Granada,
Playa San Juan del Sur, etc. I have a place in Tamarindo, CR so am done three times a year. Some of the people I know in Tam. are beginning to purchase properties in Granada. I could put you in touch with someone to check out a few details on taxes, etc. I don't think they spend equal time there. It is a good buy right now.
Marilynn