Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Any shots needed if traveling to Peru? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/any-shots-needed-if-traveling-to-peru-171526/)

Paul McCarthy Mar 13th, 2002 11:32 AM

Any shots needed if traveling to Peru?

I have plans to travel to Peru in September. Want to travel to Machu Pichu and was wondering if I needed any shots?<BR><BR>-Paul

pjr Mar 13th, 2002 12:21 PM

Paul try this website for the Center for Disease Control. I usually check them out before traveling to a foreign country. http://www.cdc.gov/<BR>Under traveler's health. Hope this helps.

Kelli Preti Mar 14th, 2002 07:44 AM

Hello Paul,<BR>You don't need any shots to travel to Machu Picchu. The only area now that requires a vacination is the South Amazon (Manu and Puerto Maldonado) although adherance to this has been pretty no-existant in the last 6 months.<BR><BR>I have some great tips on my site at:<BR><BR>http://www.letsgoperu.com/Pre_departure.htm<BR><BR>That can help you with other information as well. There is also a link for "Health and Safety"<BR><BR>Have a great time in Peru...you will just love it!<BR>Kelli

Karen Mar 16th, 2002 11:07 AM

Kelli,<BR><BR>I'm confused about immunizations even after reading cdc.gov. So if you're traveling to the Amazon by way of Iquitos, and not going to Manu or Puerto Maldonando, then you aren't required to obtain a yellow fever immunization? How about malaria medication (before and after trip tablets)? How about hepatitus? We'd also be going to Lima, Cuzco, Machu, Lake Titicaca, and Nazca Lines. <BR><BR>We're both healthy and take no medications.<BR><BR>Are you the Kelli of Let's Go Peru? We're looking seriously at your 'Best of Peru' package. Michael has answered several questions and has been great.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance,<BR><BR>Karen

meagan Mar 18th, 2002 09:56 AM

Hi Paul!<BR><BR>I'm going to Peru in May to hike the Inca Trail. I saw my travel doctor last week. She gave me a Hep A shot and a typhoid shot, to be safe. Because I wasn't going into any affected areas, I didn't need a yellow fever shot or malaria pills. Other than the two shots, she urged caution when eating: no unbottled water, no raw veggies, fruit or meat of any kind. She also gave me a small prescription for diarrhea and altitude sickness. I strongly suggest seeing a travel doctor. She was a great help and unravelled all the confusing information i'd found on the internet.<BR><BR>meagan<BR><BR>

ro Apr 1st, 2002 08:04 AM

megan is right see a travel doctor. i called and spoke to a person at cdc. if you go to curzo, its on the list for yellow fever shot. so, best to get the shot and get it over with. why take a chance.

Kelli Apr 3rd, 2002 12:42 PM

Sorry for the late response, I just noticed the posting! To answer one question, if you are going only to Iquitos you do not need a Yellow Fever vacination.<BR><BR>Personally, I think seeing a travel doctor is a waste of money. There are some people who don't mind taking all types of innoculations; I'm the opposite. I don't like the thought of injecting my body with a foreign live virus - even when it's required...much less when its not. <BR><BR>There is little research on the Yellow Fever vacination for women - pregnancy - longevity, etc. I did a ton of research on it when I was planning to get pregnant just after the shot. I was shocked to see how little the pharmaceutical companies knew about long term effects !!!!<BR><BR>Whomever said that Yellow Fever was required for Cusco is absolutely wrong. <BR>Taking Typhoid on the Inca Trail is overkill....the Hepatitus is a good idea to have even living in the states.<BR><BR>My rule is "if it's not cooked, boiled or peeled, don't eat it". I've found that when I forgoe milk (in coffee primarily) I've escaped any sickness....I travel to Peru about 15 times a year. <BR><BR>And yes, I am the Kelli, from South American Expeditions. Whomever asked, I hope you will join our tour of the Best of Peru..it's a great trip!<BR><BR>Bottom line is, some people take every precaution and medication out there, others take nothing. I go to the most remote places in the Amazon for weeks at a time and have never taken Malaria pills - have been eaten to death (from not putting on any repellant after showing due to time) and have never, ever been sick. Well, a stomach bacteria here and there, but never Malaria or Yellow Fever. Each person however, should do what they fell is the best.<BR><BR>Peru is a spectacular country! You will love your trip! Have a great time. You can contact me directly at [email protected] if you have any other questions I can help with!<BR>Kelli

Nancy Apr 3rd, 2002 08:09 PM

I agree with the Hep A advice. Everyone should have it no matter where you live. My husband had a Hep A scare 2 years ago. <BR>