Search

any news on La Paz (CR)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any news on La Paz (CR)?

Our original plans for our April Costa Rica trip included a visit to La Paz Waterfall Gardens on our way from the airport to Arenal. Then the earthquake changed those plans.
What is the current status of La Paz? I see on their website that they would be back in business soon, but there is no date for the reopening.
Thanks - K
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 09:44 AM

They originally said it would take 3 months to reopen, but I haven't heard any updates since. 3 months would be April. You could try e-mailing them.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 10:55 AM

We were in the area a few weeks ago and all the roads heading that direction were still totally closed off. A travel agent friend who lives in San Jose said many people in the local travel industry were shocked that the owners put a message on their website saying they would be re-opening in three months. He was very skeptical that it would happen that quickly since the roads were so severely damaged.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 10:58 AM

I've heard August and that is probably being optimistic considering the roads.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 02:24 PM

We had April reservations there and they told us that they are hoping to open in July.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 02:37 PM

I have a feeling the date will keep getting pushed, but I hope they reopen soon.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

So, since we can not make a stop in La Paz, any suggestions for things to see on the way to Arenal? We have all day to get there and figured we could sight see en route. Thanks
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 03:44 PM

Are you planning to visit Poas Volcano National Park? The road is open there and if you are lucky and have a good day, the view of the crater and lake is spectacular. We made two attempts within an hour or so and lucked out on the second try. Everyone says the earlier you arrive, the better your chances, but for us, early afternoon was better. Some of the hiking trails are still closed, but it's still worth going there.

We also liked the Artesans Cooperative in Sarchi for some shopping and enjoyed Else Kientzler Botanical Garden in Sarchi north.

Visit the neat church in Grecia, the topiary park in Zarcero and fruit stands along the way - that is enough to fill your day!
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 04:28 PM

We did a combo tour of Poas Volcano and the Doka Coffee Estate - both of those were great. I hope the waterfall gardens open up for you - they're really beautiful.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 06:51 PM

Yes, plenty of things to do if they're not open yet. I agree on the Church in Grecia, and there is a really nice market right nearby, full of fruits I'd never seen before. Poas is good as well, the earlier the better.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 05:19 PM

I love the route that goes through San Carlos (Ciudad Quesada) and Zarcero. Zarcero is a beautiful little town. The topiary is amazing. I've always thought I'd like to spend the night there in the hotel across the street from the church.

Tully, is this close to Bosque de Paz?
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 06:47 PM

Yes! Though I forget how long passed between Zarcero and Bosque de Paz. Actually it got incredibly foggy after that and I was concentrating on Carlos concentrating on the road!
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions.
What about parking and leaving my rental car in these cities while we sight-see?
Same question regarding the parking lot at Poas?
Since we will be enroute from the airport to our first night's lodging, we will have our luggage in the car.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 09:16 AM

Poas has a big parking lot. Rule of thumb in CR is not to leave any belongings in your car though. Break-ins are common. I know people have done it, but you are taking a chance. We met folks on our last trip that had all their luggage stolen while they were eating lunch at a restaurant. They had even asked if the parking lot was safe and were told yes. I felt bad for them - they were dressed head to toe in CR gear because all their clothes were gone. Monteverde hats, waterfall t-shirts, etc.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 10:55 AM

It seemed to me that there was some sort of "guard" in the Poas parking lot. I bet a few colones "reminder" would help
him watch your car.