Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Any Islands off of southern belize recommended? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/any-islands-off-of-southern-belize-recommended-204427/)

Rachel Apr 23rd, 2002 10:45 AM

Any Islands off of southern belize recommended?

I am trying to plan a trip to Belize and only have 6 days. I want to see some things on the mainland, but also want to spend maybe 2 days on one of the Islands. Obviously, I want to spend as little time traveling as possible. Most of the things that I want to do are in the Southern area, so I figured I will limit my stay to just that section of Beilze. Are there any really nice, easy to get to Islands off of the southern part of Belize? Accessable by boat preferably or cheap plane. Any advice will help. Thanks!

Mandy Apr 23rd, 2002 12:09 PM

I have just returned from a 10 day trip in Belize. Because Belize is such a small country, travelling distances are quite short. <BR><BR>I would personally recommend staying on Caye Caulker which is one of the northern Cayes rather than staying on one of the Cayes to the South. Awesome snorkeling and diving sites are easily accessible to you. Also, cheap accommodations and meals are available on Caulker. Caulker is also very laid back, everybody travels around on bikes, golf carts or in bare feet! <BR><BR>Depending on what you are looking for, you will find the southern Cayes to be quite isolated and more expensive. If you are determined to stay south however, I have heard (but not visited) that Tobacco Caye may be worth visiting.<BR><BR>Good Luck...you'll love Belize...it is an absolutely amazing adventure!<BR><BR><BR><BR>Caye Caulker is accessible by boat from Belize City for 15 BZE, or 7.50 USD. The ferry (a motor boat actually) runs from 7am in the morning until 5pm, every hour. From Caye Caulker, you can take a boat trip across to Ambergris Caye and visit San Pedro for a half day trip. (Or if you are interested in snorkeling, you can do the Hol Chan tour which makes a 2 hours stop in San Pedro as part of the trip)<BR><BR>You should have no trouble taking a bus from southern Belize, such as Placencia or Dangrigia, at very inexpensive rates.

Rachel Apr 23rd, 2002 12:37 PM

Thanks!<BR> Are there nice beaches on Caye Caulker?<BR>Any places that you recommend staying? Cheap with a/c. Also, any recommended places to stay while in Southern belize?

Patty Apr 23rd, 2002 03:25 PM

We did a day trip out to Southwater Caye from Dangriga by boat. Did not stay overnight, but there's the Blue Marlin dive resort, some cabins owned by the Pelican Beach resort people, and another lodging facility (I forget the name) on the island. I don't recall the boat ride being very long and we split the cost with another couple who were going to stay on the island. It's very quiet though compared to Caye Caulker so it depends on what kind of atmosphere you like. The diving nearby is great!

Katie Valk Apr 24th, 2002 04:08 AM

You might want to consider Placencia, which is a peninsula, not an island, but a great place to base yourself in southern Belize and see ruins, jungle, rivers and caving and have the sea 50 ft from your door.<BR><BR>Katie Valk<BR>Belize<BR><BR><BR>

Mandy Apr 24th, 2002 06:32 AM

Re. request for info on places to stay on Caulker...<BR><BR>I would recommend Trends, Chocolate's Guest House, De Real MacCaw Guest House. All 3 have A/C, price range will be from $30-60 USD per night. This is quite reasonable since you will be in the middle of the main strip close to restaurants and the split (swimming area).<BR><BR>On the far end of Caulker there is Shirley's guest house which is clean, safe and reasonable, but you are more isolated. Also, on the lee side of the island, there is the Lazy Iguana, which is more pricy and is completely isolated, but which also has A/C.<BR><BR>There are tons of websites that give you info on these places so you can find out more info on prices etc. before you get there.<BR><BR>I stayed at De Real MacCaw and it was fabulous. Newly renovated, A/C, hot/cold showers with chlorinated water for $50 USD a night. Hosts Jessie and Peter were very friendly and provided us with lots of helpful info.