Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Any good deals out there for Playa del Carmen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 08:06 AM
renee

I've been searching for a good deal on a nice family resort in Playa del Carmen or Cozumel for March. So far I've come up with nada. Can Anyone share where they might have found some good deals on vacations to that area, or am I looking to early and just have patience. Thanks.

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 11:24 AM
eileen

What do you consider a "good deal?" We were very happy making our plans for Easter week through Liberty Travel -- the airfare was only $400 through Liberty when the travel websites had it for $800+ We usually go to the Caribbean but decided to try Mexico this year because it is so reasonable. Our trip is 1/2 the price we usually pay for Caribbean. I found that many of the smaller (200 rooms or less) were already almost all booked for March - April (booked my trip a month ago) -- maybe more people going to Mexico because its reasonable. We were happy with the prices for the Gran Porto Real -- seemed like a bargain to us.

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 11:51 AM
Shell

Ditto Eileen: What do you consider a good deal and, just as importantly, where are you flying from? Having traveled often to Cozumel, I can think of $20 hotels and resorts that cost upwards of $150 a night. Depending on how large your family is and what amenities you're looking for, you may also consider renting a villa for the week. As for airfare, MLT Vacations has some great deals year 'round if you can make it to one of their departure cities (Minneapolis, Dallas, Detroit, Tulsa, among others). I've taken advantage of a $200 ticket in November and March to Cancun (taxes included), then traveled down the coast on my own.<BR><BR>MLT is at: worryfreevacations.com<BR><BR>If it's Playa you're most interested in, here's a board to check out:<BR><BR>http://www.playadelcarmeninfo.com/

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 01:40 PM
renee

We'll fly from New York, and airfares are $400 from any of the websites so that is a standard airfare from the East coast. I consider a good deal less than $1000/week pp at a nice all-inclusive with kids at least half that. I know it can be done because I've done it before. I use all the last minute sites, travelzoo, moments-notice.com, etc. They already have deals better than this for January, but so far have seen nothing for March yet. Just wondering if anyone else has. I'm a bargain hunter when it comes to travel, and I'm sure there are others like me!

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 10:06 AM
kris

Try Apple Vacations (www.applevacations.com) which flies from New York. We use them from Chicago and the deals are much better than what I can arrange on my own. I've also used the air only option from FunJet.<BR><BR>It might still be early for March deals. March is high season with lots of spring breakers.

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 12:06 PM
renee

Thanks kris, I have been checking their sight but so far the've only got deals to the end of January. Soemthing will turn up though, it always does!

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 05:42 AM
Leslie

My sister and I found a really good deal at travelzoo.com. Best deals found 1 to 2 months in advance. Try them.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 02:46 PM
HeHe haha

NO.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 05:19 PM
gill

i,m looking for a place in playa del carmen for 01,08,02 till 01,16,02 to have fun we are 30 year old

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Kate

What hotel in Playa del Carmen is $20? I'd love to try something other than an all inclusive. I often hear about little hotels but don't know whether to book ahead and risk getting stuck in a bad one or go there with no reservation and try our luck.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 01:39 PM
kathyw

We just got back from Allegro, Playacar, with our 12 yr old daugh. Very pleased with the deal we got from Liberty Travel in NYC. Rooms are small, need refurbishing, but the grounds, staff and food were great. Very international group of guests. We tuned out the cruise ship stuff. Great beach, property's very clean. Not perfect but a good deal for what we paid. Contact me for specific questions.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Susan

Kate, there are loads of little hotels in Playa del Carmen. We've been there 3 or 4 times. I booked in advance last time and found that I really didn't need to - there has been such a building boom down there that the hotels will never be at full capacity again (and I heard this from a hotel owner). If you're concerned about not having a place to go to, just book your first night and then look for a place. That's what I would do. We saw some nice little hotels for $25 USD last time around and we weren't even looking.