Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Any good advice on resorts in Cozumel that offer good SCUBA?

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:37 AM
David

I starting to look for a place to stay in Cozumel next year (sometime in Feb, Mar, or April) and wanted to get any advice on some good resorts. It will be my wife and I would like to have a nice place that is kind of peaceful but not completely dead. We are mid-late 20's and like to have a good time but not all night like the good 'ol days. SCUBA is also very important and would like a place that has a nice beach to lay out on. Are there any resorts that include SCUBA in there prices or is most of the SCUBA done by local dive shops? Any suggestions on local dive shops? Is all inclusive a good idea in Cozumel and if so, what price range are we looking at?<BR>Any help will be greatly appreciated.<BR>Thanks,<BR>David

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Tatia

David,<BR><BR>My husband and I love the Presidente Intercontinental. Scuba Du is the best operation we have dove with in Coz. The resort offers a more upscale stay in Coz. with the the Scuba shop on property, unlimited shore dives, sandy beach, short boats rides to dives. Ask for room facing beach near dive shop (2101 -21??). Boats usually fill up fast except post 9/11, so book when you get there. Plaza Las Glorias is also nice with Aqua Safari on property. Aqua Safari also picks up at Presidente.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 11:20 AM
TC

My husband and I have been going to the Coral Princess Resort for over ten years. Pepe's Scuba (on-sight) has one of the best dive operations on the island. The boats are small and the dive masters are all great - although are favorite is Manual. We have lots of very experienced dive buddies who join us and all agree that Pepe's is tops. The Coral Princess is only about one mile north of town, so its an easy cab ride or even walk into town. They have a lovely beach area although it doesn't enter into the sea. The sea is accessed by a stairway, which affords some of the best snorkeling on the island right at your front door. The facility is small - only about 100 rooms of varying size. Half is used as time-share condos and the other (new) half is run like a hotel. There are two good restaurants and just enough going on to keep you from being bored - but not so much as to keep you up at night. If worried, ask for room on the 8th or 9th floor. They have a web site and are also booked through many tour operators like Apple Vacations. If you want any more information, just drop me an email.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 12:02 PM
Emily

I second the vote for the Presidente. We just returned from there last week and it was as good as ever. If you can swing it, the rooms in the 5000 series are right on the beach with huge patios. Scuba Du is a terrific operation and they offer packages at the hotel and pick you up right there. The food at the hotel is pretty good, but the cab ride into town is short and cheap ( $4.00) so you can enjoy the restaurants in town.<BR>If you join the Six Continents Club, you will get a coupon for a free nite and an upgraded room. We did this and they gave us a room right on the beach.<BR>Snorkeling is also fantastic right at the hotel beach - there is a sunken barge about 50 feet off the beach and it attracts many varieties of fish.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 05:17 PM
linda

David<BR>I would highly recommend the Presidente. We went there last summer and really enjoyed. The snorkeling and scuba is fantastic

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:06 AM
Nancy

No contest - Presidente.<BR>Returned Thursday from 2 weeks there.<BR>Diving with Scuba Du is wonderful, and the snorkeling right off shore very nice also. (Be sure to check direction of the current.)<BR>Do not go AI as Coz has some awesome restaurants.<BR>Just fyi, the rates at Presidente go way down as of 4/15 every year, but we got good rates for early April also as tourism is down there...

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 01:18 PM
kzachry

My husband & I stayed at the Allegro Resort. It is all inclusive. It has a very nice beach with a dock the boats can pick you up at. The food was good. If you drink alot of cola or beer, bring a big insulated cup. Cuts down on return trips to the tap.