Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Any experience with CAMP BAY or MARBLE HILL FARMS on ROATÁN?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a couple of weeks in Guatemala next summer we're planning to spend a couple on Roatán. We know we want to spend a week in the Sandy Bay area and are considering the NE end of the island for the other week. Does anyone have any experience with the above places? Thanks!!
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 01:05 PM

Sorry can't assist other than they are both appear to be on the east end of the island.
Sandy Bay area, you can check out www.seadancer.net or www.hobbies-hideaway.com/ which are more laid back.
Not sure what the needs are.
Dan
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 01:24 PM

Hope, I would try searching on TA. I know I've read about Camp Bay on there. We're thinking about spending a day there when we are on Roatan.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both. A few years ago we rented a little house in the Sandy Bay area and really loved it but the rental is no longer available so we're planning to stay at Hobbies Hideaway. Lodging in the Camp Bay area is more limited so we're digging for more input. I haven't found any reviews or forum posts suggesting lodging options in Camp Bay on TA; it's usually visited as a day trip but we're planning to stay a week. Happy trails!
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 06:12 AM

You will like John and Sue at Hobbies!
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - that's what I've heard!!
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 03:08 PM

The east end of Roatan is glorious. I just recently did a day trip and we stopped at Marble Hill Farms. They weren't open to the general public (restaurant) that day but gave us a full tour. and we saw the awesome lunch they were taking to their guests. Very secluded, very beautiful. Camp Bay is a fun place to stop for lunch, you feel like you are truly on a remote Caribbean Island, I was expecting to see pirate ships coming by. I don't think their accommodations are ready yet though. Paya Bay (just before Camp Bay)is where I would stay! I live on Roatan (Sundancer, Sandy Bay) and if I was taking a holiday on the Island, Paya Bay would be the one for me. Beautiful tropical rooms high on the cliff overlooking the Caribbean Sea. Here are a bunch of pictures from our day trip to Paya Bay and Camp Bay. http://roatanvortex.com/2010/07/26/east-end-tour/

You also will want to check out Hole-in-the-wall for Sunday brunch...unlike anything you've ever experienced! I've got lots of pictures of there too, just none posted on my blog yet. Send me a message I'll get them to you.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for posting! Paya Bay looks beautiful but we're not willing to spend $2500 for a week. Are you familiar with Camp Bay Beach Adventure Lodge?
http://campbaybeachadventures.com/

There's also a hostel at Camp Bay - pretty rustic I think. Did you see the dorms at Marble Hill? I wish they had a kitchen for guest use, though, as we prefer to prepare our own meals.

Most importantly, do you know anything about flyfishing flats in the area? Thanks again!
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 07:28 PM

Wow! Paya Bay is that expensive I had no idea.

Camp Bay Adventure Lodge has recently posted that they are open and have some lodging available. I saw construction a couple of months ago but I have not seen what is finished.

At Marble Hill I saw the common area (lounge) laid-back and casual. I don't think kitchens are an option. They prepare the meals.

Okay so I'm not much help here...sorry. I have no idea about flyfishing on Roatan.
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

I've enjoyed your photos and appreciate your knowledge of the area. I think we'll just have to stick our necks out and give something a try. Thanks!
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 02:58 PM

I found out some info on flyfishing. Actually I took this from their website http://campbaybeachadventures.com/adventures.php

"Roatan's East End is known as the place to go if you want the best Fly Fishing or Sport Fishing while on Roatan. Take literally miles of flats and passes adjoined them to hundreds of acres of mangrove forest encircled it all with part of the second largest barrier reef in the world and place in the crystal clear Caribbean Sea and you have a recipe for fishing success. Our North Shore East End locatiion is second to none for access to these fertile waters."

I still can't find anything on the accommodations they offer though.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

The rates link is "under construction" but there are a few photos of the lodging options in the gallery. I've pasted what the owner sent about rates and rooms in an email below. Thanks for your continued persistence in helping me!

"As for rates we have beachfront rooms set up as two twins or a king that are $65.00 a night for two people and for every fifth night the sixth is free. We also have a two bedroom suite with queens and a twin sleeper sofa with full kitchen. The suite sleeps five and is $125.00 per night or $700.00 for a week. These rates are without A/C we have to charge an additional $15.00 per night for A/C. Most who opt. for the A/C really only use it a couple nights as we have cool Caribbean breezes most of the time in those cases we just keep track of the night it is used and charge accordingly. We rent the kayaks for $15.00 a day but if your husband wanted it for say a week we would let him have it for $10.00 a day. We dive the east end reef in front of us for $25.00 a single dive or $40.00 for a double and we dive come in for lunch and return for the second dive very relaxed and safe easy diving. We dive other sites also but have to add a small increase in the cost to cover the fuel it takes to get to them. The dive rate includes the tank for the dive and any additional equipment is available to rent if needed."
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 07:48 PM

Thanks for mentioning Marble Hill Farms. I am the owner of the property and would offer the following for informational purposes.

We do have options for budget travelers. Bunk rooms are available. If you are looking for a kitchenette and wish to cook your own meals then you would want to consider a casita.

All of our published rates are available on our website, and everything is available ala carte. Our best deal is an all inclusive stay for the two of you which includes diving. However our rates are very fair and a package can be tailored to your needs. the website address is marblehillfarms.com

check it out and send us an inquiry via the site so that we can price your vacation. we'd love to see you this summer.

jim
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

We're looking for budget priced options with kitchen use. Thanks, though!