Any Dietary Restrictions in Cancun

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heading to Moon Palace Resort in Cancun in a couple of weeks. I have heard that we should not drink the water (unless bottled). Are there any other problems to be aware of with either food or drink? Thank you.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 07:03 AM

It depends on who you ask. The people at our local travel clinic told us to avoid all lettuce because there is just no way to purify it. We ate salads up and down the coast of Belize and Mexico without any problems.

Most people will tell you to avoid street vendors. Probably not a bad idea, but I've not had problems.

Most people also advise to not eat any fruits or vegetables that you haven't peeled yourself. I ignore that rule too.

I'm guessing the water will be fine at a large resort like Moon Palace. But, I'd sure be careful of anything with mayonaise (sp) or such things on a buffet. Especially if the area where the buffet is isn't air conditioned.

Also, be aware that coconut is a natural laxative, so go easy on the coconut based tropical drinks.

Jean
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 08:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Everyone has a different take on what they are willing to eat/drink and what kind of chances they take visiting Mexico. Personally I only drink bottled water because that is easy enough to do. As far as food (IMO)it is the handling and preparation that can make trouble as much as a particular food. I would never eat from a buffet (food sitting around) but would eat from a street taco stand (fresh food cooked right in front of me).
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, JeanH and Suze....I would guess that the food should be ok at the resort, do you agree or disagree? It is an all-inclusive so most of our meals will be there. We usually cruise so this is somewhat of a new concern for us.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:34 PM

Barb, We don't stay at all-inclusive resorts, so I have no first hand experience. However, Palace Resorts have good reputations, and I'm sure that things will be fine. But, I would pay attention to what's on the buffets and not eat things that would spoil if left out of refrigeration for any length of time.

I'm guessing you'll have a wonderful trip.

Jean
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 07:41 AM

Recently all the Palace gets the Distintivo H, it's the most important award given to restaurants in Mexico,

Distintivo "H" guarantees a hygienic environment and controls the full cycle in all food and beverage processes, from supplier to consumption.

Don't think you have any problems with the buffets or water at the Palace, also they have restaurants with A/C Bugambilias (mexican) and Moho (chinesse), both very good quality, I personally talk with one of the chefs, Ricardo, and he told us about the certification and all the food standard's at the Moon..
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. I guess we'll just use our common sense and as they say "when in doubt.....". We're really looking forward to the resort. It does sound beautiful.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 01:47 PM

Be very careful in Cancun. The water system there is not nearly as good as other tourist areas of Mexico, such as Cabo or Puerto Vallarta. The problem is the low elevation. Although the hotels usually do their best to keep everything clean, you can get sick if you aren't cautious. There is also a lot of Typhoid fever in Cancun, even though they don't want us to know that. I was there three years ago for eight days and something I ate (not sure what, but I did not eat any buffets) did a serious number on me. It took two weeks worth of Cipro (antibiotic) to cure me after I got home. NOT something I would like to re-live, however I would return to Cancun in a heartbeat. I'd just be even more careful next time.