Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Any Canadians out there been to Cozumel or Mayan Riviera lately?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 11:11 AM
margie

I was looking at some holiday packages and wondering if this area is just too expensive for meals, entertainment, and attractions. I noticed the day tours to Tulum, etc. are advertised in US dollars making them so expensive in Canadian dollars.<BR><BR>Are there reasonable places to eat and local buses to the attractions or is it best to pick another destination?

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 04:30 PM
Susan

Margie, I'm Canadian and I sympathize - our dollar is terrible! I've been to that area several times and never take a package. I book air fare and hotel separately. You can easily find inexpensive little hotels in Playa del Carmen. Last time we booked it all in advance, but next time, I'd probably just book my first night and then find a place from there. As for restaurants, you can go cheap or expensive - there's all kinds of restaurants there. <BR><BR>As for tours to Tulum, etc., we never take tours. You can take local buses easily and do it on your own for a lot less money. <BR><BR>Good luck with your plans!

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 06:52 AM
Erin

Hi,<BR>I'm not Canadian, but I am sympathetic! I was in the Mayan Riveria in January and found it expensive, even if you have US Dollars. Stay away from Cancun..not only is it expensive, it's sterile. I found Cozumel to be not only pricey (although it was less than Cancun), it was also boring. The only thing to do there is shop...it isn't even interesting to drive around the island. PDC is awesome and you can get great deals there. And it still has some remains of Mexican culture (unlike Cancun). Take the local busses to Tulum and other sites...the bus station is right in the heart of PDC, not far from the beach (on 5th Ave I think). The tours are not worth it. Good luck and enjoy!

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 07:52 AM
margie

Thank you both. I'm feeling more optimistic now. Glad to know there is public transportation. I don't really like day tours anyway. <BR><BR>I totally agree about Cancun. Once I spent about 4 hours walking around there while waiting for my flight. I had just finished a 1 week tour of the Mayan sites in the Yucatan. There was so much cement and not enough trees! Earlier in the day, we had dropped off some people in PDC though and the beaches there looked fabulous.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 11:52 AM
xxx

if you need to stay in cancun for a night or two in order to catch your flight, there are some reaonable hotels around the bus station downtown. plus there are mexican restaurants instead of the pizza huts, etc. that you get in the beach area.<BR>sure does suck, we can't afford to travel outside of our country, cause of the dollar and because air canada is so damn expensive, can't afford to fly across our own country.

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 02:44 PM
d motl

probably the cheapest place to stay on the east coast is Isla Mujeres. A small island 10 miles off cancun. It is mostly a beach place although you can do all the Cancun tours thru local agencies. check out the hotels and other info on isla-mujeres.net<BR>Also, we spend a month a year on the island and keep up a 20 page brouchre.<BR>just e-mail us if you want a copy.<BR>Good luck. Dan and Ginny

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 04:47 PM
debbie

Margie - we are from Thornhill, Ontario and have been to the Mayan Riveria twice in the last 3 years on all inclusive. The way our dollar is now, the ai's at the RIU or Iberostar or Allegro are not bad deals considering these are all 4 and 5 stars with good clean comfortable accomodation and (speaking for the RIU Yucatan) the food is excellent and it's varied enough that you don't have to feel like you are eating the same thing every night.<BR>The day tours can be expensive but if you plan carefully you will find they might be worth the money, ie. the day trip to Coba with guide (there was just 7 of us in a mini van with driver and guide) was well worth it - not someplace you want to be trying to find on your own in a rental car.<BR>Anyhow, please do feel free to email me direct and I'll send you our trip report on this area.<BR>We were scheduled to head to Grenada for two weeks this year but unfortunately got caught in the Canada 3000 schmozzle and so are heading back to this area but are going to do Iberostar and stay one week in Coz and one week on the Mayan Riveria. I'd rather be spending pesos than U.S.$!