Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Antarctica (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/antarctica-17779/)

Carolyn S. Bratt Oct 9th, 1997 08:09 AM

Antarctica

My partner and I are plannint to travel to Antarctica in late 1998 or early 1999. I would appreciate receiving any information concerning providers of such trips and any other information that might be useful as we plan our visit.

Sonia Nov 3rd, 1997 04:52 PM

Carolyn, I Emailed you direct.

I've posted similar notes in other travel websites so if anyone else knows anything, wants to come or needs to know something, please Email me direct.

Will be going 98/99 along with South America. Interested?

Sonia

Tassara Nov 9th, 1997 07:09 PM

Contact Lan Chile, they have an 800 number. They fly to Santiago from NY, LA or Miami and from there to Punta Arenas. They should advise you.
Probably Aerolineas Argentinas fly there too. Good luck,

Greg Lawrence Dec 10th, 1997 02:30 AM

I am fortunate enough to be departing for Antarctica via Argentina on 10/1/97 along with 22 others.
We are using Aerolinas Argentian to Buenos Airies and then connecting to Ushaia in Patagonia, southernmost town in the world. In Ushaia we board the Marco Polo cruise ship which belongs to the Orient Line are are doing an 8 day Antarctic Peninsular cruise. This line also offers a combination of Falkland Islands/Antarctica, circumnavigation of Antarctica and Antarctica through to New Zealand. The 8 day is about USD$5,500 from memory. There are a variety of other smaller expedition ships which operate from late December through to Late Jan, some of which are chartered icebreakers and organised out of Australia by tour operators. Your basic choice is to use a ship like the Marco Polo which is a full blowen cruise ship capable of taking 800 passengers but limiting to 500 on Antarctic cruises due to logistics and environmental impact or a smaller more expedition style ship. On MP you have all the comforts of a cruise liner but are more restricted in that it has to operate like a regular cruise ship, on the smaller ones you get more freedom to explore and they take you to more places, subject to WEATHER.

Email me if you would like to know more, I will be back from the trip end of Jan 1998.

merrypj Jan 5th, 1999 05:12 PM

carolyn, last year, while cruising to Cape Horn(Buenos Aires to Santiago) we made a stop in Ushuaia, Argentina, the gateway for Antartica expeditions. Ushuaia is also known as Tierra Del Fuego. The Tourism Board can be reached at: [email protected] This will put you in contact with the Antartic Unit. Tourist season is Nov to mid March. The Antartic Peninsula is about 1,000 km away, 2 days of sailing. World Wildlife Fund Travel went last year on the ship Hanseatic, Abercrombie & Kent and Renaissance Cruises have used the ship m/sExplorer. We plan a Jan 2000 trip, so let us know any info.Hope this helps you, Happy Travels!