Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page > Another CR itinerary question: Monteverde & Montezuma

Another CR itinerary question: Monteverde & Montezuma

Oct 29th, 2004, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

Another CR itinerary question: Monteverde & Montezuma

Hola, I'd like some advice on the practicality of this schedule for visiting Monteverde & Montezuma flying in and out of San Jose. I've found travel times a little difficult to get a good sense for. I'm planning to travel by bus/taxi/ferry (any advice on best way to travel between locations would be great too)

Day 1: arrive San Jose 1:40pm - travel to Monteverde
Day 2, 3: Monteverde
Day 4: travel Monteverde to Montezuma
Day 5, 6, 7: Montezuma
Day 8: travel back to San Jose for 3pm flight

Thanks much for any feedback!
Oct 29th, 2004, 04:52 AM

If you are planning on mostly buses, you will probably find yourself located near the airport for the 1st night. Not to worry, Alajuela is not a bad little town and will get you warmed up for the rest of your trip. Vida Tropical is right there and can pick you up and help you get on your way the next morning. There is a bus to Monteverde leaving San Jose around 2:30 which would put it by the airport around 3pm which you could conceivably catch if you are quick to get out of the airport and can get to the stop. I am not sure exactly where that stop would be. Hopefully someone on this board can help. I have taken several buses while in CR but they are generally to SJ rather than from.
It will be a 4hr trip with a stop just before heading up the mountain.

There is a bus that leaves Monteverde around 6am I believe that goes to Puntarenas where you can catch the ferry over to the Nicoya Peninsula. I would do a search for the Ferry schedule just before leaving home to check current schedules. You want to go on the Paquera ferry. Again, I believe there is one around 11am.

You can also look into private shuttles that run between $25-$38 each trip. Fantasy Bus and Interbus as well as monteverdeinfo.com all have shuttles. Most of these trips are scheduled for early morning departures.

Below was copied from the ferry schedule and is for low season.
"If you don't travel with a car you can also take the lancha (small passenger boat), which operates from Monday to Friday. Its mooring is in the center of Puntarenas behind the fish market, only 3 blocks away from the bus terminal.

Puntarenas -> Paquera
Paquera -> Puntarenas
6:00 | 11:30 | 15:00
7:30 | 13:30 | 16:30"

Search this Thread