Angangueo Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary

Old Dec 12th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Angangueo Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary

My wife went to a monarch butterfly seminar yesterday and now we are thinking of visiting the sanctuaries in Michoacan in early February. It's actually been on her bucket list for a while.

I did some quick research this morning and found some older Fodors threads. It looks like Angangueo would be the best place to stay.

So I'm thinking to spend a few nights in Mexico City (we have never been there), then maybe 5 nights in Angangueo. We enjoy hanging out in small towns.

Sound OK? Any recent information or advice would be appreciated. I did read that we should bring warm clothing for the cold nights.

Thanks!
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in Angangueo in 2005 to visit the Sanctuario. I can't imagine what you would do for five days there. We arrived in the afternoon and went directly to the Sanctuario, then left the next day.
It is a strenuous hike, but well worth it.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Yeah five days sounds like a lot, but we are usually good keeping ourselves busy in places like this, bird watching, hiking, drinking margs...

But will consider what you are saying. We are also investigating the California migration sites and may choose that instead.
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did this trip January 2014. Flew in Mexico City (I enjoy visiting Mexico City been there thrice before). Spent 3 nights in Angangueo. Enjoyed my slow paced visit. Was at the monarch sanctuary all by myself after the tour bus groups had to leave at 1230h, and the Monarchs came alive after 1 pm when the sun really hit them. You can hire a driver and car affordably and visit nearby areas. Go horseback riding. I Left Angangueo for Morelia where I spent 5 nights and enjoyed that city very much too. I was glad I brought my hot water bottle since I went cheap and didn't book the room with a fireplace as I was travelling alone. The nights were very cold. It was a memorable and enjoyable trip.
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

tangwah, Thanks much the for the reply.

We decided that for a quick getaway going to the Monarch groves in California made more sense, so we did that instead. Just returned yesterday.

We visited the Pismo grove, with about 30,000 butterflies this year on 3 different days. Each day's visit varied depending on weather: butterflies huddled in large groups with wings folded, or wings spread out in the sun, or flying around depending on temperature and wind. It was very cool to see. We chose the best time of day to go.

We then spend several days along the southern Big Sur coast which was awesome.

We still want to go to Angangueo, but will do that as part of a longer trip to Mexico, maybe next year. We'll stay a few days and get a heated room!

Thanks again.