Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   An afternoon and an evening in Puerto Vallarta. (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/an-afternoon-and-an-evening-in-puerto-vallarta-570684/)

iamq Nov 13th, 2005 03:23 PM

An afternoon and an evening in Puerto Vallarta.

We shaved a night off our upcoming trip to Majahuitas so we could spend a day and night in P.V. We get into town around noon and are staying at the Marriott. We'll probably drop our bags, and get a cab into town.

We want to spend some time walking around the Romantic Zone, Los Muertos Beach, Downtown and the Malecon.
Is this doable in an afternoon/early evening?

iamq Nov 13th, 2005 03:28 PM

Damn, I had not finished yet. I was going to ask if there are any specific recomendations for places to shop for local pottery and or art glass.
Thanks,

Bill

blondlady Nov 13th, 2005 06:42 PM

Yes its doable. Especially since you can walk the malecon late into the night. Around Mundo's tile place at V. Carranza & Insurgentes you'll find lots of pottery and glassware. There are various shops on Morelos and Juarez Streets behind the malecon for art glass and art galleries. Look on the side streets from the Malecon. Browse olde town (Basilio Badilla).

iamq Nov 13th, 2005 07:38 PM

Thanks blondlady!

-Bill

suze Nov 14th, 2005 06:19 AM

Great ideas from Blondelady!

Bill, definitely an OK plan, you'll have enough time since the locations you mention aren't more than a 5-15 mins. walk one to the next.

I'd suggest start up on Morelos and Juarez (parallel to the Malecon), there are several really nice crafts shops, also stop in to visit the cathedral (light a candle, make a small donation).

Next walk over the southbound bridge (Vallarta street name). Turn inland at V. Carranza until you find the tile shop: Mundo de Azulejos at number 374 (you can see people painting the tiles upstairs).

Then continue, over one more street, to Basilo Badillo and head back towards the water. Stop in Lucy's, a shop with fun and unusual arts & crafts. Loads of other fancy shops and decent restaurants along this street (sometimes dubbed restaurant row in tourist brochures).

Continue a few blocks, stop in Cafe de Olla if you need a drink or bite to eat... 1 block more and when you hit the water, then you'll be on Playa Los Muertos, turn left to head toward the main area. Depending on the time of day have happy hour or stay for sunset and dinner at one of the places right on the beach with mariachi bands, tiki torches, etc.

After dinner stroll your way back up to the Malecon, have an ice cream, sit on a bench. See if there's dance or music at the free stage under the arches. Buy a little watercolor from an artist showing PV scenes.

Catch a taxi or bus back to the Marriott.

iamq Nov 14th, 2005 07:07 AM

suze,

Thanks! I am getting excited.

95 more days. ((R))

-Bill

suze Nov 14th, 2005 10:28 AM

de nada, my pleasure

i should buy a plane ticket so i can take some of my own good advice!
:-)susana

iamq Nov 14th, 2005 11:08 AM

suze,

Either that or you could move there and do guided tours for schleps like me. :-B

-Bill

PeggyE Nov 14th, 2005 12:45 PM

We just did roughly the same, first night at Marriott, 5 nights down the coast at El Careyes, last night in PV and had dinner on the beach at La Palapa. I knew it would be a great spot, romantic and fun but I had no clue the food would be SO fantastic!! One of the best meals we have ever had...and we have had private dinners on many beaches...in Fiji and Samoa and Belize & this was amazing! We were both plesantly surprised. We went back for breakfast the next morning! Have a great trip!

iamq Nov 14th, 2005 02:48 PM

Thanks Peggy! La Palapa is on my short list for sure. I may be in the mood for authentic Mexican Regional food though and was thinking some place like El Arrayan or the Red Cabbage might be fun. So many choices!

-Bill

PeggyE Nov 15th, 2005 10:17 AM

When you return I would love to hear about Majahuitas. We have stayed at most of the "out of the way" places but not there. Let me know how it goes!