Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Playa del Carmen or Cabo San Lucas for Girls' Getaway over Thanksgiving?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are six women (ages 26-38) traveling on a girls' getaway over Thanksgiving this year. We all live in Seattle. We're trying to determine the best location for our group, and I *think* these two options would suit us well (though I'm open to other suggestions):

Requirements:
* Have to travel over Thanksgiving week
* Staying 7 nights
* Must be able to walk to beach, restaurants, etc.; rental car should be very optional and not a requirement
* Has to be warm/sunny with ocean warm enough to swim in
* looking for air + lodging for around $1000 (a little more if necessary...can be flexible)

Any pros/cons to the two destinations during this season? I am thinking that Playa del Carmen might offer more "to do" (ferry to Cozumel, ruins, good beaches) but I'm also thinking that weather in PdC may be iffy since it is at the end of the hurricane season.

Once we figure out destination, then lodging will be next...we'll explore a number of different options with a goal of making sure everyone has their own bed.

Am I overlooking any other obvious destinations? Belize and Costa Rica were previously in the running, but I'm thinking the budget of $1000 wipes those two out (flights are pricey; much cheaper to fly to Mexico).

Also thinking about Akumal, but am concerned it might be too sleepy for us. We're not old in age or in action, but we do require some fun bars/nightlife to enjoy. We don't want to feel "trapped" in a sleepy locale!

Thanks for any tips you might be able to offer.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

I should mention that I also thought about Puerto Vallarta, but not sure the beaches there are as nice as in Playa del Carmen or Cabo. (And I do not want to stay in Nuevo Vallarta)
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 06:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
hey, I was going to suggest Puerto Vallarta! Yes the beaches are "nicer" on the Caribbean side, but PV has an amazing atmosphere, nice mix of locals and tourists, and loads of things to see and do... both 'activities' like ziplines, cruises, snorkeling, mountain biking, horsebackriding, boat to Yelapa, parasailing, but also art galleries, home tours, the Malecon. People are incredibly friendly. Setting is gorgeous on Bay of Banderas with mountains and jungles surrounding. US Air thru Phoenix is the best tickets/route I've found recently.

I have not been myself, but believe Playa del Carmen would also provide everything you're after. But further to get to from Seattle and I think more expensive?

Cabo also has what you're after also, but it has a smaller feel about it. People go down for the deep sea fishing, etc. It's at the tip of a desert peninsula, rugged terrain. Lots of places the beach is now swimmable. That said, it would be your cheapest trip. I went for the first time in February & had a GREAT time... 4-hour nonstop flight on Aeromexico, 7 nights at Mar de Cortez hotel downtown, and a round-trip airport shuttle transfer with TransCabo was less than $800.

Can't help with PdC, but if you have specific questions about PV or Cabo, ask away.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 06:59 AM

oops, not swimmable (Medano beach right in town in Cabo is a fun beach with swimming, bars/restaurants, and in front of some hotels has a swimming area roped off, but many other stretches are rough and dangerous to be in the water) in Cabo.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Suze!

Surprisingly enough, all 3 options seem to be pretty comparable in cost for lodging and hotel. Cabo is cheapest airfare for shortest duration at $540, Cancun is next at $548, and PV is the most expensive at $610.

This would leave roughly $400 per person for 7 nights accomodation, and this is the part that stresses me out the most...but I think we can do it with a few options:

1) One person is trying to get her mother's timeshare...and she's the one with the tightest budget, so it would leave a few of us to get our own different lodging (where we could afford more)
2) I've seen lots of condos that are within our budget -- either a single condo (but someone will have to sleep on sofa bed) or 2 condos in same building
3) I work in travel industry and get discounts on hotels...so that helps too (though my first preference is a condo or a house where we have a kitchen and maybe even a washer/dryer)

Good to know that about Cabo...I have heard it is small, and one person at work said they couldn't imagine being there for longer than a 4 night trip. I love PV, but am worried about the quality of the beaches for the ladies that want to be beach bums. I'm really starting to lean towards PdC. I also checked out multi-city airfare and we can do about the same cost to fly into Cancun and out of Cozumel which might also be an interesting option!

Decisions, decisions...
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 07:55 AM

November all would have great weather. My Sister loves Playa del Carmen including the fact that you have many Mayan Ruins in the area. Not to cause trouble but have you considered Isla Mujeres? Great Women Spot! Smile
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 09:15 AM

hi beanweb~ I really do think for this trip Playa del Carmen sounds like the ticket that would make everyone happy. Thought I like the Isla Mujeres suggestion too. Both place I'm interested in getting to myself! I think you're right about Akumal being too sleepy for your group (I have family friends who go there).

Ouch, those airfares are high. Maybe because of Thanksgiving holiday? I only paid $282 for Cabo in February, and $525 for PV last June.

As for your co-worker who couldn't figure out what to do in Cabo, well some people just don't have much imagination (lol). I was there solo for 7 days and barely scratched the surface. I'm hoping to go back again this fall and explore further.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 09:48 AM

Not sure where you are flying from but check Aeromexico & my fav Mexicana. Great service (still serve hot meals & free drinks) & some great pricing.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:44 AM

flying from Seattle
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 07:50 AM

Cabo can have cold weather in late November. Nov-Feb there is a wierd weather pattern that forms and bring moisture and heavy clouds from the Mazatlanish to Arizona. I say 'ish' because its never in the same place. One year it can be Cabo clouded for a month, then the next its Puerto Vallarta. Unless you girls can party 24/7, Mexico is very boring with bad weather. I say Acapulco(Ive never seen it that far south) or Carribean side.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

Thought I would report back on the group decision....just booked 5 nights at Dreams in Puerto Vallarta! Already looking forward to the trip. This will be my 2nd time to PV, but for everyone else it will be their first trip.

Now on to purchase airfare (hovering around $350 these days...leaving day after Thanksgiving).

Old Jun 11th, 2009, 06:52 AM

Excellent choice, beanweb24. Thanks for letting us know what your group decided. Give us a quick trip report when you return!
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:44 AM

That is great Bean. I have been to all of the above mentioned and although you have already booked wanted to add that I agree with Suze that there is plenty to do in Cabo. I have been numerous times and would go back in a second.

I am sure you will all have a blast in PV!
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

I've got Cabo on the top of my list for sure...still don't have a plan for Labor Day yet, so that's a possibility. Thanks for chiming in!