Logistics for April trip

Old Jan 19th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Logistics for April trip

We are traveling to Belize in April for two weeks and need a little help on the logistics end. We are planning on staying at Matachica on Ambergris Caye, Mahogany Hall in San Ignacio, and Roberts Grove in Placencia. We don't care in which order we stay at these places or for how many days each, but we do have a list of must do's. The part that we are find to be hard is checking these must do's off and which location to do them from. Here is what we are thinking:

From AC: Hol Chan, fishing, day exploring San Pedro, beach day
From SI: ATM cave, Tikal, cave tubing, zoo
From P: fishing and relaxing!!

My questions are... do we really need 2 weeks? Where is the best location to visit Lamanai from? Any good places to horse back ride (we are avid riders and would like to do more than walk on a trail) Are we missing any have to do's? With the things we picked to do are we doing thing them from the right locations? How long should we stay at each location? If we ended with Placencia, is it difficulty to get back to BZE for our flight home?

Thanks in advance! This should be last set of questions...i know i have been all over this forum with tons of questions! but everyone's answers/remarks/suggestions are greatly appreciated and welcomed.
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 05:04 AM

The ruins at Lamanai are easily accessed from Ambergris Caye. It is a long day though, you get picked up about 7am, don't get back until about 6pm. Lots of fun though, and well worth it.

If you've got the time, I'd certainly to two weeks. Actually, I wouldn't try and visit three locations with much less than two weeks.

Since you have two weeks, I'd overnight at Tikal.

There is horse back riding around San Ignacio, but, I don't know details.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting from Placencia to BZE in time for your flight, assuming you'll fly.
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 07:02 AM

We (also avid horse people) rode for a morning at Banana Bank Lodge. A short drive from San Ignacio. We did not stay for lunch but it has been recommended.

I agree with overnighting at Tikal and everything else JeanH said.
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Great!! I have read other reviews recommending Banana Bank Lodge. I will have to look into it and see where we can fit it! Thanks!
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 09:25 AM

I would add in two nights at Lamanai Outpost lodge to visit the site and spend a few nights on the lagoon. For horses, many of the lodges have horses on site, but I love riding with MET in the foothills of the Mtn Pine Ridge, so add another night in Cayo for this.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 06:24 PM

We're not horse people...hubby doesn't even like to sit on them to walk around!!! But...I've read great things about MET if you're interested in 'real' horseback riding.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

Do you think I need to switch Mahogany Hall for Lamanai Outpost? Can you do ATM, Tikal, and tubing from Lamanai? As of now we figured 5 nights on AC, 4 nights in SI and then 4 at RG. Good split? Thanks everyone!
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 04:54 AM

Deb15July, what is "'real' horseback riding"? (It is normally classified by beginner, intermediate, expert and then by activity...)
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 05:54 AM

I just meant I think they have more options available than just casually walking around! After all it's called "Mountain Equestrian Trails".

It was also listed in "1000 Places to See Before You Die".