Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

All we've decided on is when... (Mexico)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to TRY to keep this short. (But I have so many questions!)

Background: My boyfriend has never travelled out of the country and knows no Spanish. I have been to France, Japan, and Cape Verde. I speak limited Spanish (3 semesters.)

We are planning on 10-11 days in Mexico early/mid Jan '07. Flying into Mexico City to visit a friend there, then hoping to move on. Trying to keep a low budget.

Question 1) The cheapest, most convenient flight for us into Mexico City arrives Friday @ 9:30PM. I've been recommended to try an earlier arriving flight but I'm reluctant to fork up the money or waste time in a 14-19 hour domestic layover. How bad is the threat of coming in to Mexico City at night?

Question 2) Airfare seems to have skyrocketed in the past week. Will it drop after Christmas or the New Year for an early January trip?

Now, some places are consistently gaining my interest: Palenque and San Cristobal in Chiapas, Oaxaca, and Zihuatanejo.

Question 3) Can these places be visited in my time frame? If not, what should I drop to get the best unique, adventurous, beautiful, eye-opening, least-expensive experience?

Interested in: ruins, cuisine, surfing, horseback riding, snorkeling, hiking, atv rides, more...

Question 4) Recommendations? What's do-able and what's rare? What's expensive/ cheap/ free? Anything else?

Any and all advice is appreciated! This will be our first time to Mexico!!

Old Nov 28th, 2006, 08:43 AM

Question 1) The cheapest, most convenient flight for us into Mexico City arrives Friday @ 9:30PM. I've been recommended to try an earlier arriving flight but I'm reluctant to fork up the money or waste time in a 14-19 hour domestic layover. How bad is the threat of coming in to Mexico City at night?

No As long as you use common sense & take only Radio dispatched cabs or offical airport ones.

Question 2) Airfare seems to have skyrocketed in the past week. Will it drop after Christmas or the New Year for an early January trip?

Probably Not

Now, some places are consistently gaining my interest: Palenque and San Cristobal in Chiapas, Oaxaca, and Zihuatanejo.

Highly recommend Zihuatanejo for my far & away favorite beach destanation. To see ruins, colonial cities, great bargains, National Parks, cities buried in Lava, butterfliy preserves, day of the dead cemitaries/art & a great beach area. Take the bus from DF (Mexico City) to Morelia, Patzcuaro, Uruapan & on to Zihua. Return via Acapulco either spending a night or just pass through on the way back to Mexico City. In all these places hotels for as little as 200 pesos a night up to the Sky-the limit depending om what you can afford or wish to pay. Feel free to E-mail me with any questions.

Question 3) Can these places be visited in my time frame? If not, what should I drop to get the best unique, adventurous, beautiful, eye-opening, least-expensive experience?

Interested in: ruins, cuisine, surfing, horseback riding, snorkeling, hiking, atv rides, more...

Question 4) Recommendations? What's do-able and what's rare? What's expensive/ cheap/ free? Anything else?

No you most likely Can NOT visit all. Pick a side of Mexico like I have suggested & enjot it. Save other areas for future trips. In 25 years & many Many trips I have just scratched the surface of this marvelous country.

Any and all advice is appreciated! This will be our first time to Mexico!!

Old Nov 28th, 2006, 02:31 PM

Avoid Oaxaca like the plague until late Spring and maybe La Ciudad around 1 December.
Consider Costalegre: www.costalegre.ca
M (SMdA, Gto.)
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

THANKS SO MUCH for the information and advice! You've greatly clarified my plans!

The advice on transportation to Zihuatanejo and lodging is just the kind of info I need!

THANKS AGAIN!
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 12:33 PM

The Mexico City metro takes you from the airport into town. Get a taxi from Belle Artes or similar.

There is a problem with theft in Mexico (notably on the metro) but not often with violence. More pick pocketing.

Some good trips from Mexico City, like Taxco. Don't miss the main museum there (museum's are free in Mexico on Sundays).

Ruins: America has some 1300 historical sites with about 450 unearthed so far. Get a good guide book, like Lonely Planet so you don't miss anything.

Very easy to get around Mexico by bus. Planes are expensive. Try to make it to Tikal in Guatemala.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 12:34 PM

That should read Mexico rather than America. Absorbed in the end of a film I was watching.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Are there more direct bus routes MEX-ZIH (and vice versa) than via Morelia-area?