Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   All-inclusive or "own our own"? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/all-inclusive-or-own-our-own-49951/)

Mary Aug 2nd, 1999 05:48 PM

All-inclusive or "own our own"?

Family is planning a March vacation to Mexico. Children are 15 and 14. Any suggestions as to what city or accomodations? <BR>Is all-inclusive the more reasonable way to <BR>go? <BR>Thanks, <BR>Mary <BR>

Pancho Aug 3rd, 1999 06:30 AM

It is very difficult to recommend a ctiy or accomodations without some specifics about your preferences. <BR> <BR>What is important to you? Where will you be traveling from? Do you want a glitzy Americanized tourist destination or a more traditional Mexican one? <BR> <BR>Accomodations range from very cheap to very expensive. What are you looking for? Try to give some idea of your budget plans. You can get accomodations for as less than $20.00 /nt or you can easily spend $400.00+ /nt. It all depends on what you want. <BR> <BR>Turn the question around and imagine how you would answer it if I asked the same thing about visiting the US. <BR> <BR>Supply somne details and I can give you some answers as many others can also.

Pancho Aug 3rd, 1999 06:30 AM

It is very difficult to recommend a ctiy or accomodations without some specifics about your preferences. <BR> <BR>What is important to you? Where will you be traveling from? Do you want a glitzy Americanized tourist destination or a more traditional Mexican one? <BR> <BR>Accomodations range from very cheap to very expensive. What are you looking for? Try to give some idea of your budget plans. You can get accomodations for as less than $20.00 /nt or you can easily spend $400.00+ /nt. It all depends on what you want. <BR> <BR>Turn the question around and imagine how you would answer it if I asked the same thing about visiting the US. <BR> <BR>Supply somne details and I can give you some answers as many others can also.

Pancho Aug 3rd, 1999 06:35 AM

I am sorry for the double post. Fodors was acting up again. <BR> <BR>I forgot about your question on All-inclusive. I personally would NEVER go with an all-inclusive. One of the great things about Mexico is trying the different foods. There are many excellent and inexpensive restaurants. All-inclusive will almost always be much more expensive than eating out on your own unless you are very heavy drinkers. Plus, you will miss the experience of dining out in Mexico.

Mary Aug 3rd, 1999 04:37 PM

Further information regarding my post. <BR>We are looking for a beautiful beach <BR>resort that offers snorkling, pools, <BR>balcony rooms, restaurants. We normally <BR>stay at Sheratons, Hyatts, Hiltons when we travel in the states. <BR>Thanks, <BR>Mary <BR>

Jackie Aug 10th, 1999 03:53 PM

Mary, <BR> I know, I know...everyone says to avoid the all-inclusives, but I have to tell you, we have gone both ways and for relaxing with kids all-inclusive is the best. We have two boys, 14 and 10 and at the rate and amount they eat, if you don'y go all inclusive you spend way too much time in the pursuit of food. Our favorite so far is the Allegro resort in Cozumel. Cozumel is a beautiful island and don't hesitate to rent a vehicle to visit the town and lighthouse. There are beautiful secluded spots all over the island. We fell very safe there, but of course, use common sense. You can also take the ferry across to Playa del Carmen and visit some larger ruins and/or the Allegro resort there. At most of these resorts the boogie boards, wind surfers, kayaks and snorkel equip is included. good luck

troy Aug 12th, 1999 07:20 PM

Mary, I have done quite a few trips into Mexico with my children and if you truley would like to relax go with the all-inclusive. What is extremely important is to do your research to find the resort with several restuarants. The best that we have found so far was the Allegro's Royal Hideaway in Playa del Carmen. Truly fantastic!

jerry Aug 13th, 1999 07:04 AM

Mary, <BR>If you are planning on Playa Del Carmen my advice is to not go all inclusive, there are just to many good places to eat in Playa. My wife, children and I have been to Playa many times and we rent a condo at Xaman Ha which is close to the ferry dock. The Continental Plaza hotel is another good bet. Your kids should love Playa the town is interesting and the beaches great. It is also a good base for taking excursions up or down the coast. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>