All inclusive or not....that is the question...

Sep 28th, 2000, 11:34 AM
pam

All inclusive or not....that is the question...

All interesting hotels that I can find so far around Playa del Carmen seem to be AI. In past we have stayed away from them, we like to seek out a different restaurant each night and hate to do buffets [only breakfast]. What nice hotels are there that aren't AI, or maybe we should reconsider attitude on them??? THANKS<

Sep 28th, 2000, 01:48 PM
Nancy

The resorts in Playacar (about 5 minutes cab ride to Play del Carmen) are All Inclusive. If you get a good package price you might want to eat breakfast (these are excellent)and lunch at the resort. Then you can go into town for dinner and choose from a great variety of places to eat. Any of the RIU resorts, the Iberostar, or Gala would be good. In town, you might want to consider the Porto Real. You can choose All Inclusive, No Meals, or a combination of the two. Other places to consider in town that are not All Inclusive are Pelicano Inn, El Faro, Shangri-La, and Xaman condominiums.

Sep 28th, 2000, 04:07 PM
Susan

Speaking personally, I'm not a fan of AI. I've been to Playa a few times, the last time was in March. We usually stay in the more 'budget' accommodation, but I noticed lots of construction going on and some really nice looking hotels. There are lots of nice restaurants in Playa (the money we save on hotels we always end up spending on meals!). I used a website that had xaac in the name last March when I was looking for a hotel. (Sorry I can't be more specific.) I guess some of it depends on what type of hotel you're looking for. We like smaller more personal places. AI usually seems to be in bigger hotels.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it whatever your choice.

Sep 28th, 2000, 09:38 PM
Pancho

I am definitely not a fan of all inclusive resorts. Part of the enjoyment of visiting a foreign land is to sample the local cuisine. The resorts in Mexico have discovered that there is a lot of money to be made from all inclusive. The typical cost for AI is much higher than eating at the local restaurants unless one drinks a lot of liquor.

Sep 29th, 2000, 08:16 AM
texasgirl

i'm with the second and third posters; i'm not at all a fan of all-inclusives, particularly in playa which is full of interesting little hotels and restaurants. The in-town hotels may not be as luxurious as some of the bigger resorts but they have much more local flavor. El Faro might be the most luxurious of them, though it is not to my taste (a little too generic, not much mexico in the design.) Its pool area is beautiful though. i've stayed at the pelicano and at the blue parrot, and both were fine. a couple of blocks away from the beach is a pretty hotel called maria bonita. a couple of sites thatmight be helpful are www.xaac.com/playaboard (i think that's right) and www.locogringo.com, though it mostly cover akumal and south.

Sep 29th, 2000, 03:15 PM
Judy

We always stay at AI, but that doesn't mean you MUST eat all meals there. It just means that the food and drinks are there if you want ..It is convenient, but certainly not pricier than staying at a non-allinclusive and having all of your meals out. All of those we have ever stayed in have restaurants fordinner that are not buffet.

Oct 1st, 2000, 08:27 PM
santiago

The idea is to compare the cost with or without AI if you are taking a program with 7 or 8 days. Sometimes the difference is negligible. If not I do not suggest to take AI and go to breakfast and meals in other places(very low prices for breakfast and meals in Playa del Carmen). Think that most of the days you will be visiting different places in the day.
Also compare the program with cheaper hotels.
In some AI resorts you can buy only some meals in the day(i.e. breakfast), or to take some days with AI.